Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Passing of the Father of the 426 HEMI .. RIP Tom Hoover

Really sad to see so many passing on who we have come to admire over time even if we didn't know their names we knew of what made them legendary. Tom Hoover, the man widely known as the “father” and/or “godfather” of the 426 HEMI racing engine, which celebrated its 50th anniversaryin 2014. http://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2015/05/01/we-mourn-the-passing-of-the-father-of-the-426-hemi/

blog_hemi_hoover.jpg

I met the man one time in a shop that was selling model trains on ebay. My one friend who is into model railroading also, knew of this shop in Hunnington PA where we could get some deals on trains. He knew I was also into cars and told me about this guy who worked there part time, how he worked for Chrysler back in the 60's and worked on the hemi engine program. Skeptical, I asked him his name and he said Tom Hoover. I said "ya right", and he said he didn't know, but that's what one of the other guys who worked their said. The following week I went along to the shop, and sure enough, it was the father of the 426. Well, he was one of the nicest gentlemen to talk to and answered all my questions. I even got him to sign one of the 1/8 scale diecast 426 hemi engines I had brought along in case the rumor was true. I'll always remember that day meeting one of the legends of Detroit in such an out of place location. May you rest in peace Tom Hoover.

I met the man one time in a shop that was selling model trains on ebay. My one friend who is into model railroading also, knew of this shop in Hunnington PA where we could get some deals on trains. He knew I was also into cars and told me about this guy who worked there part time, how he worked for Chrysler back in the 60's and worked on the hemi engine program. Skeptical, I asked him his name and he said Tom Hoover. I said "ya right", and he said he didn't know, but that's what one of the other guys who worked their said. The following week I went along to the shop, and sure enough, it was the father of the 426. Well, he was one of the nicest gentlemen to talk to and answered all my questions. I even got him to sign one of the 1/8 scale diecast 426 hemi engines I had brought along in case the rumor was true. I'll always remember that day meeting one of the legends of Detroit in such an out of place location. May you rest in peace Tom Hoover.

Great story !

The old guys were / are much more accessible versus the new(er) generation . Dick Landy was a great guy , too . Very personable . I used to see him at the annual Spring Fling Mopar Show in Van Nuys , but I never approached him ... I wish I would have now ( :mellow: ) .

Guys like Hoover , Landy , et al. , were men with rough hands with dirty fingernails ; bruises , cuts , scars and other "war paint" . They typically grew-up in a post-depression era and knew what true P.R. was , and they practised it !

Mr. Hoover just looked like he had a good vibe . May he rest in peace .