Model Cars Magazine Forum

Instruction sheet? What is that?

You gotta chock that up to experience and expertise.....To be honest with you, I still use them quite often....Especially, on an expensive or a new kit....I even had to look at the instructions for my Raptor model.....However, once you've built a kit a few times, you kinda glance at them every once in a while.....

For instance, the Moebius 53' trailer model (The first one)....If you didn't look at the instructions, you could very well have screwed the suspension up pretty bad....And there IS a top and bottom to the side panels.....

The Prostar and Lonestar, however are different....Most of us had to build the Lonestar without much help from the instructions, anyway....And, as for my Prostar, I wouldn't have known the best place to cut for the stretch without them....

Now, the Revell Pete 359 snap kit was a no brainer, but those are rare....

And, I too, save all I get....I keep them in my Payhauler 350 box....It's getting full, though....

I just realized that my last couple builds were snappers. I did reefer to the instructions when I build AMT kits, the DR, Ca Hauler, Freightliner COE and so on. The Moebius trucks, although a bit hard to follow I still refrenced them.

Of course I use the instructions.

I go through them quite thoroughly when I open the box often immediately after I bought the kit (that's why allmost all of my kit boxes are opened), partly to see what the kit contains and to see if something is missing when the kit is new and it's possible to do something about it, and partly to see how things goes together.

Then when I build the kit I only glance at them now and then when I'm not certain where a part will go or/and how they are assembled but most of the basic assemblies on most model kits are quite easy to understand and after 40 years of building and looking at model kits and real cars I mostly go by experience.

Another thing...I rarely build a kit "out of box" and when you modify a kit, kitbash and change things around the instructions are kind of useless. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...