Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF question for first timer

I would choose the one that has the clearest, deepest lines, because those are what you'll be following with your knife. Nothing like a line that's so poorly rendered as to be almost non-existent! :o

and since you mentioned clearest, deepest lines....  many of us go over the model in the prep stage and deepen the panel lines and lines where we will have to score the BMF once the model is painted.  A little preparation can save big headaches later on.

Interesting topic, very helpful.

Does the bmf go on the clearcoat or under?

A big controversy on that question!  I believe it goes on OVER the clearcoat.  BMF has it's own unique shine, which is different than clear paint. The contrast between the BMFs tone and the paint's shine is part of what makes it look real! 

Others will say they clear coat over the BMF to seal it in, so it doesn't peel off.  I have models that are 30 years old that the BMF is not peeling.  If your BMF peels, it's because you have touched the glue with your fingers and ruined it!

Edited by Tom Geiger