Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Chevy Coupe

AzTom

I worked on this one about 15 years ago filing and sanding the flash off.  Not sure why it got put aside but along with this one i have few more of the Hubley kits prepped and about ready to paint.  Anyway i decided it was time to finish this one.

It is actually a reissue of the old Hubley kit. 

I found this paint at Target in the craft section for $1.99.  It brushes on ok but really flows on smooth and covers well with the airbrush. I'm going to pick up some more of this paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to be back on track here. Watching Grandkids for a weekend and dealing with a new refrigerator which lead to a new stove and micro, always something.

Getting the wheels cleaned up.

The frame, axles, engine and fenders are together. the brown "Rust" on the exhaust is some of that Chalk paint everyone is talking about.  Kind of nice because it has a fine gritty surface.

Mock-up of wheels and white walls.  Need to figure out painting the tires so the paint won't crack putting the on. 

Thanks for dropping by.

I did not heat it up.  I goes on with a fine spray but covers extremely well. This was a quick light coat follow by a second one just a few minutes later.  Dries to the touch in about 10 minutes.  I looks like I have about four coats on it. 

For the price it is definitely worth a try. 

One thing I'm confused about on these "any angle spray" nozzles. You can't hold them upside down a clear the nozzle but yet the don't clog???  Gotta love that and it saves paint.

Hi Tom, I have a whole set of these including the 5 Ts that Gabriel made, except the very early Indy racer and 32 ford hot rod, when Hubley and then Gabriel were making them they came with stickers for the white walls. You could probably get a sheet of plain white label stickers from the office supply store or craft store and cut them as needed, or some flexing agent to mix with the paint like they use on 1:1 car bumpers from the auto supply store or maybe you could get that from the craft store also. Hope this helps.

Thanks for those tips Craig.  I'll have to look into that "flexing agent".  I do have all the kits as well, including the 32 and indy car. The stick-on whitewalls don't stick very well and they dry out quickly. I have been looking into circle cutters. 

I have paint several whitewalls on vinyl and hard rubber tires with no problems. These tires are super soft and flexible and need to expand to get them on the rim.  I'm going to try lining the rim with paper and paint the tire while mounted. 

Anyway, I came up with some tires from a 36 Ford panel that have whitewall inserts and fit perfect.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think I am done with this one.  I had robbed the carburetor from this kit to put dual carbs on my Chevy roadster. After some serious digging I found my Hubley parts boxes.:D  I also added some strap-on mirrors from the Pakard kit. I cut windows from .015 sheet stock.

Thanks for following along,