Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've got a Galaxie 500

MGL

I know, in the song it's a '73. This is a 1966 Galaxie 500 kit with flocking, M.A.D. distributor, BMF, Redline tires from the parts pack, and solder exhaust from the mufflers out. I also had to scratch build a hurst shifter as the kit supplied shifter looked like it was meant for a 1/32 scale car, and since the kit didn't come with a mirror I had to build one so Harry wouldn't scold me. The paint is Duplicolor pewter metallic with Duplicolor clear. We have a similar looking '67 running around here that I drool over every time I see it but its more of a sea foam green, or maybe mint green. Someday I am going to have to get an airbrush so I can start doing more colors. I still need to give it a final polish, and a few details and touch ups, and I didn't realize until now but I forgot the drive shaft.

IMG 1042IMG 1043IMG 1044IMG 1045IMG 1046IMG 1047IMG 1038IMG 1039IMG 1040IMG 1041

Thanks for looking.

Is this the 427 or the GT/GTA kit? I've got both and reaaaaally wanna get started. 

This is the re-issue of AMT's 3 in 1 kit, http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105292-new-66-ford-galaxie/

It goes together pretty good although mine had some damage on the left wheel wells front and back and I've heard of others having the same issue, and some of the details in the body like emblems and the louvers, or vents, or portlights, whatever you call them on the B pillars were so shallow as to be almost non-existent.

Nice. How does the Duplicolor clear go down? I've been using Testor's Wet Look, and am not 100% sold on it.

Duplicolor goes on a bit thinner than Testers but shines up about the same. The Duplicolor does seem to be a little hotter than the Testers. Over the cheap $1.00 can of flat black from Home Depot Testers wet look looks great but the Duplicolor reacts with it. So far that's the only issue I have had with it.

That's a nice build! I love those Galaxies, seeing one reminds me of this video: my inspiration to build one!

Man, it's tough to watch racing this good and out of control and then go back to modern NASCAR, I don't think I've watched a race all the way trough in ten years. Great video, thanks for posting.