Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with Manhattan, NY local hobby shop

The only real hobby shop left in Manhattan is Jan's Hobby Shop. It's located at 1435 Lexington Avenue, between E.93rd and E.94th Streets. That said, let me inform you that the car kit selection is pretty sparse and the place is really expensive. The kits run for 30%+ over retail price.

If your friend wouldn't mind taking the subway, he can go to Modelcars.com (that's the actual name of the place). You can also check it out online using that name. It is located at 38-01 23rd Avenue, Suite 407, in the neighborhood called Astoria. He can take the N or W train to the Ditmars Boulevard station, then head east to 38th Street. Take a right (going north) at 38th St. and the store is located on the corner of 38th St. and 23rd Avenue on the fourth floor. It is open Monday-Friday 10 A.M.-6 P.M. They carry a large selection of kits and the prices are pretty darned good. He might be lucky and find some great closeout deals.

There is also the Red Caboose on 45th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues.  The place is small, cramped and hot, and the proprietor can be hard to deal with, but I have found some good stuff there.

You might as well suggest a trip to Riker's Island, fer chrissakes! There's not much difference between the two. Well, there is. You get green baloney sammiches and blue Kool-Aid at Riker's.  :) 

You might as well suggest a trip to Riker's Island, fer chrissakes! There's not much difference between the two. Well, there is. You get green baloney sammiches and blue Kool-Aid at Riker's.  :) 

Do they have OOP model kits and a wide selection of hobby paints at Riker's? I wouldn't know, since I've never had cause to be at Riker's. :D

Do they have OOP model kits and a wide selection of hobby paints at Riker's? I wouldn't know, since I've never had cause to be at Riker's. :D

I'll ask my old friend Augie. He works at the George Motchan Detention Center. I don't believe the guests are allowed to use X-Acto knives, files or sprue cutters. ;)  :)