Model Cars Magazine Forum

need some diorama help

Anderson_15_

I know with this being a question that it should be in the question answers section but i Though this would be better answers.

I have never built a diorama before and I would like your guys's help with it. Basically its going to be a car parked on the shoulder of a highway. In it will be the pavement and the ditch which will be a little gravel then grass. I need some input on how to make the pavement mostly. Any help with the ditch part would also be very helpful

Thanks, Pacen

I'd start with a piece of insulation styrofoam about 2" thick cut to the size you want, layout the area for the pavement and the ditch and start cutting. Paint with flat latex paint, gravel and grass are available in the train section of most hobby stores. Use a lot of reference photos for details. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

For asphalt I spray a coat of spray adhesive, let it dry thoroughly. Then shoot it with flat black,when that dries I shoot a very light coat of flat gray over that.The spray adhesive adds a little texture to it.And the gray adds a little contrast to the flat black.Hope that helped you

If you are going to start with a 2" piece of foam as a base of your diorama I strongly suggest you use the blue "builders" foam material.I have used this on my last two dioramas and it simply is the best choice.It is normally sold in 4' x 8's sheets in large contractor type stores like Menards or Lowe's.I bought a much smaller piece from a home remodeling contractor friend for five bucks.This stuff can be carved easily with a long very sharp knife.I used a fish filleting knife.It can be sanded easily and you can use household wall repair spackle for filler.you can glue to it with white or super glue and use any kind of paint without fears of damage.

Good luck with you project.