Model Cars Magazine Forum
mr moto

Is there a good flexible casting resin out there?

Are any of the resin casters out there using a good, reasonably priced resin product? I find a confusing assortment of products on the net and most are not really oriented to the hobbyist. Those who are casting tires probably have some advice to offer on this.

Not really i learned to just make 5xs worth of mold to get a decent yield per run out of the 18 hour curing

I have made tires with good luck in the past.  I used Polytek PT flex 50 and 70.  It is easy to dye black and cures within a hour.  It is expensive though.  There are material compatibility issues that can be a real problem.  When I switched silicones the Polytek material would come out uncured on the surface of the part.  This put a real damper on my confidence about making tires.  Calling tech support for different companies is the best advice I can give.  I have spent plenty of money on material only to find it was not successful in use.  It does get discouraging.  I switched from using Aeromarines purple silicone, a tin silicone to Smooth- On  MoldStar 30, a platinum silicone.

I have experimented with various resins and an Australian company called Barnes Products does the best stuff by a long shot ! As for casting tyres I will be experimenting with something different altogether, I will upload some photos of the results next month.

Edited by fractalign