Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 70 Hemi Cuda

Kmb0319

So, I researched this one for a couple months.  I read all 29 pages of the discussion when this kit was released, checked out a ton of people's builds, then started figuring out what I wanted to do with it.  In the end, I decided to:

• I looked at tons of pics of the real car as well, waiting for something to really stand out to me as the perfect combo.  I knew the interior was going to be white, but couldn't decide on a body color.  In the end, a few pics of a Lime Green Metallic Cuda stayed with me the most.  Then I set out to find a suitable paint (I don't own an airbrush), and was terribly disappointed.  How on earth is it that different shades of light metallic sage-olive green were offered by every manufacturer and was the most popular color of the 60s and early 70s, and NOBODY offers a decent rattle can of a suitable color????  Anyway, after researching for two weeks, I found Automotive Touchup, and purchased a can of Pontiac Verdoro Green and Clearcoat from them.  Two coats of color and 4 coats of clear were applied, compounded and waxed.
  • Tried several different tires to get something a little more beefy but not over the top, and settled on the AMT Goodyear Polyglas GTs.
  • Wired the engine, added battery cables and a little wiring on the firewall for detail
  • I heard all of the complaints about the fenders, and agreed.  I'm not sure what the reason is that the fenders were molded with such ridiculously prominent lips.  I saw several builds where once painted, they weren't terrible, but they stuck out like a sore thumb to me comparing to photos of the real thing.  I also noticed several pics where the real car didn't have the chrome trim rings, which I preferred, so I actually used the hobby knife to trim most of the lip off, then sanded as best as I could.

Anyway, I have read all of the complaints, but this was a JOY to build, and is an excellent kit.  First, i'll give a few WIP shots as it came together, and then some finished pics.  Finally, I had to take it outside in the morning sun.  Hope you enjoy...  I loved this model.

Hemi_Cuda_3.thumb.jpg.ca606f5e58c1229abaHemi_Cuda_4.thumb.jpg.1f1c18b09fc913a5ed

Added a little wiring to the firewall:

Hemi_Cuda_5.thumb.jpg.0f54c8a6fbb5536973

Was able to get the silver outline trim painted onto the steering wheel, and the black trim around the window cranks:

Hemi_Cuda_6.thumb.jpg.e48ecdf381ea1e1477Hemi_Cuda_7.thumb.jpg.d6d1a2e2962cef860b

One last pre-finished shot:  I was in final assembly, and the sun hit just right:

Hemi_Cuda_8.thumb.jpg.58313b3e2fe9c01e9a

Done:

Hemi_Cuda_9.thumb.jpg.240d2b94dc0501077aHemi_Cuda_10.thumb.jpg.04bcdb40d8914966bHemi_Cuda_12.thumb.jpg.eb38c0a3163ffffa2Hemi_Cuda_14.thumb.jpg.0e55cb4233393d2fb

Finally, a few outdoor shots, including under the hood with everything in place:

Hemi_Cuda_19.thumb.jpg.596ba22223a9cfcd4Hemi_Cuda_15.thumb.jpg.2fa593fa3efbe7fe5Hemi_Cuda_16.thumb.jpg.15180abb1a588dcdeHemi_Cuda_18.thumb.jpg.c6f6c1f96d1797aaaHemi_Cuda_17.thumb.jpg.46ff3b6dab0cb27a0

Edited by Kmb0319