Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would the results be? {body modification}

While browsing the site I came across this post and was curious about the cut the modeler seems to be preparing to make. I am also building a '49 Merc and was wondering what the end result of this cut would be.

Any help would of course be greatly appreciated.

This is the shot of the proposed cut.

DSC01432_zps64eb92db.jpg

Basically, you'll ruin the the lines of body. The tail will droop, the rear of the roof will be lower than the front, etc. If you like goofy looking clown cars, by all means, do it.

To see for yourself, find a good profile shot of a '49 Merc. Print it out. Mark it as shown...accurately...and cut. Stick the pieces back together.

See?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ace, took your suggestion... Man is that "not" a look I'd be willing to go for even on a bet. Just saved be a ton of heartache on that one.

Line and proportion are everything, and just a little difference in how you do something can make a HUGE difference in how it looks when it's done.

Slownlo's red Merc above has very nice lines and flows well, and it's the result of a "similar" pie-cut sectioning-and-chopping strategy that really isn't similar at all.

Really looking at things critically and thinking-through what you want to achieve is key.