Model Cars Magazine Forum

LaFerrari FXKR Journal: Updated Friday April 29, 2016 - Basic Engine Assembly

Tinky

Welcome! This will be my first documented build on this forum as I plan on making this a long-term project that will be highly detailed, and I would like to show how I build my models so that everyone can help me along the way with comments, suggestions, and criticisms as I want this particular build to be done as best as possible. I am tentatively naming this model the:

2014 Ferrari LaFerrari FXKR

Backstory: This is my 12th build since coming back to the hobby, and starting it will put a final end to the largest amount of unbuilt and unfinished kits I have had at one time (which is 5 unbuilt and 2 unfinished). I stalled out way back in late 2014 when my Pontiac GTO build became too much (everything about that build was weird and I could not decide whether or not to keep the funky paint job that came out), which I then started my Baldwin Motion Camaro build and bought my GMC Pick-Up kit, but then life got real intense in 2015 and I had almost no time to build. When life started to calm back down I came back to the hobby and bought 4 more kits through November - December 2015 (the Ford and Datsun Pick-Up builds, the recently completed Acura Integra build, and this LaFerrari). I managed to finish the 2 partially started ones during the last two weeks of December and completed 4/5 unbuilts this year averaging one completion a month, and this Ferrari is the 5th. I bought this kit because I wanted to add something that was sleek and fast to my model collection, and this was the closest the store had to it. I did not really think much of the kit when purchasing it, but when I got home and opened the box I was shocked. I did not realize that it was a skill level 3 and the mesh inserts looked very daunting, but hey, you can turn almost any challenge/difficulty into a fun-filled adventure so that is why I am going to stick with the kit and document it. I plan on taking two years to complete this kit due to its difficulty and I want it to be as detailed as possible, so the key here is to take it slow and steady. I do not have any other unbuilt/unfinished kits at this time but I do plan on buying new kits/projects when this project becomes overwhelming and I need to take a break from it. I chose to name it FXKR because of the Ferrari FXX-K (an even more powerful version of the LaFerrari!), the R is for "revised" as in my version, and the letter combination sounds good together. So here we go! :)

Kit: Revell's LaFerrari (Skill Level 3, 141 parts)

Purchase Date: December 2015

Build Start Date: April 24, 2016

Planned Completion Date: April 25, 2018 (2 years)

Build Plan Ideas: Fully detailed White and Gold Interior, Highly detailed engine (red and tan intake covers) and engine bay, Black chassis pan

Undecided: Exterior body colors, suspension color, rim color, Roll cage/bar?, Cut off the roof so that it is a convertible/cabriolet?? :o

Box Art:

BoxArt_zpskqr8xwzz.jpg

What is in the box:

LF%2001_zpsulfk1gju.jpg

LF%2002_zpsqgsapxij.jpg

LF%2003_zps692lwhcq.jpg

LF%2004_zpsqovjjjjw.jpg

This marks the start of the build. Hope you enjoyed reading and learning a little more about me and my projects. I genuinely appreciate any and all comments that you provide. Feel free to post your LaFerrari's if you want to and any tips/advice as well.

Thank you for looking.

DV

Edited by Tinky
updated progress in the title

Update: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - Basic Engine Paint

I should also mention that the theme song for this build is "Give Your Heart A Break" by Demi Lovato B)

Looked over the instructions and it is quite interesting, written like a story book...

Here is the soft introduction to ease into the build:

LF%2005_zps6ncn1q9r.jpg

Then there's the highly-eventful climax (look at all those decals...good thing I got practice in through the over 30 decals I put on the Integra build...):

LF%2006_zpsmrfx9x8f.jpg

And like a good love story, there's the happy ending where it all comes to life! :wub:

LF%2007_zpsilehxual.jpg

As for progress, I painted the basic engine components on the sprue tree (Steps 1 and 2 in the book), which will need to be touched up after I take it off but at least this way I get most of the parts painted without worrying about fingerprints, awkward handling during paint, and above all losing them.

ea3ba7ef-3268-4c3d-8346-dd7368f261cd_zps

That's all for now, feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!

Edited by Tinky
small information additions

Nice start.  I usually primer all the parts before applying colour, not sure if you did, but I find it helps the paint adhere.

I have the Tamiya version of this kit in my stash, with the carbon fibre decals and photoetch extras - haven't had the courage to start it yet, but you may inspire me with your build ^_^.

Cool build. I'll be watching. If I might make a suggestion? You'll get an overall better finish if you remove all of the parts from the trees before painting. I would glue together things like engine block halves, exhaust pipes, seat fronts and backs then attach them to some popsicle sticks with some two sided tape or, what I use most often, bbq skewers with some blue tack ( or whatever its called in your area). All of these items are easily available at dollar stores and for about $10 you can buy yourself enough supplies for more than a couple years as you can reuse the sticks over and over. After gluing the parts together sand out the mold/glue lines then prime or paint, you'll be much happier with the result.

David

Just got the same kit over the weekend, looking forward to your build. But if your wanting to superdetail it, Id suggest you pick up Tamiyas Version. Its much better than Revells & the doors open too.

Paul Scadden - If you come along to our next meeting hopefully there will be my LaFerrari for your inspiration sitting on the table...

Nice start.  I usually primer all the parts before applying colour, not sure if you did, but I find it helps the paint adhere.

I have the Tamiya version of this kit in my stash, with the carbon fibre decals and photoetch extras - haven't had the courage to start it yet, but you may inspire me with your build ^_^.

Thank you Paul for the advice! I did not primer these parts but will do so on all the rest of the parts, just have to go find some ^_^. Good luck with your LaFerrari when you do start making it!

Cool build. I'll be watching. If I might make a suggestion? You'll get an overall better finish if you remove all of the parts from the trees before painting. I would glue together things like engine block halves, exhaust pipes, seat fronts and backs then attach them to some popsicle sticks with some two sided tape or, what I use most often, bbq skewers with some blue tack ( or whatever its called in your area). All of these items are easily available at dollar stores and for about $10 you can buy yourself enough supplies for more than a couple years as you can reuse the sticks over and over. After gluing the parts together sand out the mold/glue lines then prime or paint, you'll be much happier with the result.

David

Thank you David! I will try this method out of assembling before painting, I guess this way paint will also be saved since I would not be over-painting the areas that will be covered/glued, much appreciated! I have plenty of toothpicks at home and will see if they work. :)

Just got the same kit over the weekend, looking forward to your build. But if your wanting to superdetail it, Id suggest you pick up Tamiyas Version. Its much better than Revells & the doors open too.

Paul Scadden - If you come along to our next meeting hopefully there will be my LaFerrari for your inspiration sitting on the table...

Thanks Ash! The hobby store that I went to (Michael's) did not have the Tamiya version, but will make do and detail as much as possible. Best of luck with your LaFerrari, you will most likely finish before me :lol:.

Update: Friday, April 29, 2016 - Basic Engine Assembly

Hello again! How is everybody doing? I had a very long week, and did not get very much time to build, but I did manage to get the basic engine assembled. Here it is (the inside of the injectors will be covered by the intake so it will not need to be painted) :D:

Thank you! 

Coming along nicely..did you handbrush ALL pieces?..is any sprayed?

Thanks Brettly! I hand painted all of these pieces with Testor's Acrylic bottle paints and used their paintbrushes. However, I do plan on spray painting primer on all future parts (before hand painting with Testor's) and using spray paint for the chassis and body. I do not own an airbrush.

Looks like a nice start to me!

Thank you Jonathan!

Edit: Did not get any progress done on the LaFerrari this weekend as I just got back from a very long trip, actually not too sure when I will have time to build as University summer courses are starting but hopefully soon ^_^

Edited by Tinky
added in edit