Model Cars Magazine Forum

thinning for an airbrush

I picked up some paint today. Guy said to thin it to spray I need to  use a reducer ( color is a base / clear urethane based )

Do I need any special kind of reducer or thinner ?

I already have some regular enamel reducer here,,is it ok to use ?

Bill Depending on the brand of paint you may need a specific reducer. My understanding is that it is urethane colors correct?? What brand by the way? From my personal experience I pretty much use PPG and House of Kolor Automotive paints on my builds. I would say to pretty much stick with the brand of reducer for the brand of paint you are using but I will say that you can cross use them but if you do I would only recommend using a quality reducer like House of Kolor and PPG. I have used my House of Kolor reducer in some of the Hot Rod Flatzs Urethane color and it worked fine. I just wouldn't use a cheap brand of reducer in a quality brand of paint.

Bryan.... Typically you would want to use the reducer that is specified with the temp range you will be painting in. For example House of Kolor has 4 Urethane reducers....RU310, RU311 & RU 312. Here is the ranges for them:

• RU310 – Fast Reducer 65°F to 75°F

• RU311 – Medium Reducer 75°F to 85°F

• RU312 – Slow Reducer 85°F to 95°F

• RU313 – Very Slow Reducer 95°F to 100+°F

I personally use the RU311 and RU312.... although I should probably pick up some of the RU313 to use during the summer. House of Kolor does say to reduce the base 2:1 but also says for airbrush you can  mix 1:1. I would say somewhere in that range you will be fine. I have sprayed both 2:1 and 1:1 ratios with my air brush and haven't  had any issues with them. I would find what ratio works best for you. Same goes for the PPG and Dupont paints.

Also I do have a house of Kolor tech manual in a PDF format. if you want a copy of it just let me know. It shows the mixing ratios and a bunch of information on each line of their paints.

Bill Depending on the brand of paint you may need a specific reducer. My understanding is that it is urethane colors correct?? What brand by the way?

Its a PPG base color that requires a clear top coat . I have I think I have most of a  gallon can of PPG enamel reducer , is that ok to use ?

I told the guy that mixed it I was using Upol urethane as a clear cote and he didn't say not to use it .

weather permitting I would like to paint this body this weekend