Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1934 Roadster - WIP

talon63

This is the Lindberg 1934 Roadster Pickup kit, with the Jim Stein builds on the box. I'm making a few changes to it.

SAM_0636.thumb.JPG.bed924f6b2650b29a7b3d  

Above are some parts from the parts bin, to make a few modifications to this kit. And, yes, those are Bic pen caps along the top edge. More about those later.

SAM_0647.thumb.JPG.60661bff219ba1fb31e2f

Swapped out the kit firewall for a larger one, since I set the body a bit farther back on the frame, and lowered it slightly. Firewall got covered in foil, and will have additional detail added as the build progresses.

The engine, just sitting in place for the pics, has quite a few modifications, including making pulleys, and using a small black rubber band for the belt. Also added the door handles to the body. The finish is Duplicolor Universal Black Metallic BUN0900. I like it because the metallic aspect is very fine, That's capped with Pledge Floor Care, giving it a good gloss.

SAM_0653.thumb.JPG.2b347532a4c6c3deeb404

The tires are from the parts box, and the rims are from the Lindberg 34 Ford Pickup 3n1 kit. This pic was taken before the matte coat was applied to the tires to make them less shiny. Interior will stay white, with some foil details.

The tailgate is also a donor part from the 34 3n1 kit, with the molded chains carefully removed. Here I've installed real chain as close to scale as I could find at the big box store. Still working out the design of the tail lights for this one.

And now, about those pen caps. 

SAM_0657.thumb.JPG.a9cbc807a472e0ceb1cde

The kit headlamps were the OK standard bowl shape, but I felt like this build deserved a bit more. Enter the BIC pen cap. The size of the lens and chrome trim ring dictated where i needed to cut the cap, and the extra length appears to work out nicely.

Probably have a couple of more weeks on this one, with the wiring and plumbing, finishing the firewall detail, scrath-building the customer windscreen and frame, taillights, and maybe one or two more details.

As always, your comments are welcome and appreciated.  Keep on building!

Very resourceful using the pen caps fir headlight buckets.We should all look at stuff like that and imagine what it Can be and Not what it is.

Thanks, some of my friends IRL are amazed at some of the things I keep in the parts bins. Old ink pens provide a lot of things that can be something else. The plastic pull tabs from half gallon milk and juice cartons become air cleaners, hub caps, parts of body detail, or even, for those who have seen the thread about 31 Ford Steamer I have on the bench, the top of a boiler. Using heat shrink tubing to fashion rubber coated parts, or drawn out over stiff wire to make more realistic hoses. Sometimes, even mistakes get a second life. A poorly cast engine wasn't thrown out. Painted it up, then added the appropriate grunge, cut wires, hoses and tubing, and it will sit in a garage dio project I'm working on as the "pulled" engine and transmission for a resto scene.

I know there have been conversations on this forum about some of things that we use in our hobby, and I'm always happy to share some of the little things I use.  I guess I just have an eye for seeing the potential in unrelated items, and just enough skill to convert them into something useful.