Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '30 Model A Coupe X2

Aaron_F

I just got one of the new '30 Coupes a few days ago and started tearing into it today. I'm building one with mostly kit parts and a second one using leftovers and a Jimmy Flintstone body. The first one is going to be a bare steel hiboy on a '32 frame with no top insert and wooden top bows exposed. I have a flathead and S.C.O.T. blower for this, or maybe an Olds Rocket. The second one will use the A frame and sbc. I'm going to decapitate the Flintstone body, leaving the top of the doors and windshield frame intact to look like a sport coupe with the canvas top and wood structure removed.

Here's the first one, with a more correct roof opening.

IMG_6871_zpsk8zuof6c.jpg

IMG_6872_zpsk02ut7tj.jpg

Edited by Aaron_F

The Ford model with the solid window frames that are on the doors  and crank up Windows is a Cabriolet(cab-re-o-lay).There are plenty of pictures on line for project research if needed.Good luck.This should be fun to watch!

Tom,

The cabriolet has a fold down top. The sport coupe has a similar appearance, but the top is fixed in place. It has the same windshield frame/posts and doors as a 5 window.

I quickly test fitted the new interior panels in the resin body, which is based on the old Monogram body and it looks like it should fit ok with a little trimming here and there. The new kit is 1/25th and the old one is 1/24th, but a side by side comparison shows that they're very close to the same size.

After what you did with the sister roadster kit I can't wait to see what you do with these. The topless Sport Coupe idea sounds sweet! 

B)

I think the topless sport coupe will be a unique addition to the shelf, I don't think I've ever seen any done in scale.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been glacially slow, but I'm still working on them. The highboy now has a 2 speed rear from the '41 woodie and a lowered front end with brakes from the Blue Bandito. I thinned out the inside of the resin body and the new Revell kit's stripped interior almost fits, just needs a little more tweaking.

Both cars look real good so far!!!  I've just started a new Revell 30 myself.  I'm working on lowering the front end and z-ing the rear of the frame to line the rear tires up with the wheel wells.  Good luck with your two.  Looking forward to seeing more!!!????????

• 2 months later...