Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Badging Question

Ok, I have a question for the Ford Guys.  I am currently building the Revell 1957 Ford Custom Police Car as a Fire Chief's car.  Revell gives several different badging options for the engine, trunk, & steering wheel.  The options for the engine are "Ford V8" and "Thunderbird V8", I chose the standard V8 for my model:

Now, my question is this.  Shown below are the different badging options for the trunk (16 or 17) and the steering wheel (18 & 19):

Which badging would be correct for a 1957 Ford Custom with the standard V8, or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks in advance.

Jim, since the Custom was the lowest Ford for '57, with the base engine, the #19 decal would be proper. I cannot read the writing on the #16-17 decals, but the Thunderbird engines were an up-grade from the base engine, Ford would have let everyone know that is what the car had. So, if one of them says T-bird,or something fancy about hp, etc., go with the other one.

I believe #19 is for the horn button on the steering wheel. The instructions should show where the decals go. On the 1:1 car there was a small ford emblem on the glove box door under the button used to open the door. Maybe #18 ? There was another emblem on the trunk lid just below the truck key opening. The valve cover decals that you used were for the 272 and 292 cu. in. engines. The Thunder Bird decal was for the 312 cu. in. engine. The OEM valve covers would have been a semi gloss black, but this sort of thing often got changed when engine work was done. It was not uncommon to have to replace the old cork valve cover gaskets from time to time and it was not uncommon to paint the valve covers any way you wanted or maybe you only had red engine paint. Either way this is a great kit.    

Jim, since the Custom was the lowest Ford for '57, with the base engine, the #19 decal would be proper. I cannot read the writing on the #16-17 decals, but the Thunderbird engines were an up-grade from the base engine, Ford would have let everyone know that is what the car had. So, if one of them says T-bird,or something fancy about hp, etc., go with the other one.

I built a '57 Ford earlier this year, and decal #19 is for the horn button on the steering wheel.

Yes, I'm going to use #17 for the trunk & #19 for the horn button.

David,

Thanks for the information on the engine colors.  I just went with what the instructions said which was Ford Engine Red.  It's difficult to find accurate information on the factory colors as original photos are in black & white, and most color photos that I found were of show cars with lots of chrome.  Since I'm planning on building this kit again ad a police car, I am going to use the Thunderbird valve cover decals on that engine, and the other pair of badging decals.

Here is the WIP Thread for the Fire Chief's Car if anyone is interested:

Edited by Jim B