Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 1969 Dodge Charger

MoparWoman Jamie

Okay, I have projects going on, I like having afew going on to keep me motivated. But since I am doing a 1/16 Charger currently. I decided it was time for me to do something I always wanted to do..

That is build a bigger scale one, I put alot of thought into it and for the scale size as well. I decided it was time to take that idea of building a bigger scale off the back burner and decided to build it. But first I have taken afew weeks to draw a blue print to use to build it. It measures well over 18inches long. I love the 2nd Gen Chargers, so that tells ya how much I want to build this project just for the heck of it.

For me, I'm still working at staching out the parts on paper to make them out of metal and brass an solder.

This project is planed so far to have open doors, trunk lid, head light doors, hood, working chassis suspension.. some of the good stuff. I'm not sure yet on color yet

Any suggestions on the project is always welcome. I will post afew photos here and there on the project.

For the body, I'm trying to decide if I should go with all metal or go the wire and frame and fiberglass route for the body. The chassis I'm using C channel steel and boxing the one side in and adding a lip over hang for the rail lips like all real muscle cars has. For the floor boards I'm thinking of alum stamping for a more better straigh for bolting things down to but the though of or maybe fiberglass route but I thought that would make things more weaker. I am planning of using Metal, copper, brass, alum, tin, plastic for on the project.

Thanks Harry, I'll need some luck on this one, the fun part is all the stuff on it will be scratch built! LOL.  Believe me I been drawing, measuring, correcting drawing lines. going off my own judgement, eyeballing things. I haven't even started on the chassis yet. Got some of the stuff for it though. 

The drawing and layouts. this is about 8 pages into one page when done just about. My disabled son can't believe the scale of this project and can't wait to see it start to unfold and come to life.

I will also be building the rims and tires for the project as well.

Comments towards the project is welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi you all, I did manage to get a little done, I don't have very much progress right done on it. Wish had more done on though to be honest but family comes first though.

I started on one frame rail, got up to the bend tack up an that's that about for right now.   

Christian, your also correct too, Dodges did in fact have unibodys.. no agruements there on that. If your reffering to the c-channel stuff I will be boxing it in.. it won't remain c-channel. I loose to own a real General Lee for a while but no more. But I do love Dodge Chargers (th old ones) just the same though.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, insane amount of work.  I have a couple questions.  1st what is the rest of it going to be made out of?  2nd how hard do you think it will be to work with/ clean up the rails you've done so far and bond everything else to them?  Again, it's coming along.  I'll be following along as well.

Wow, insane amount of work.  I have a couple questions.  1st what is the rest of it going to be made out of?  2nd how hard do you think it will be to work with/ clean up the rails you've done so far and bond everything else to them?  Again, it's coming along.  I'll be following along as well.

Hi Chris,  LOL they always told me I was insane.. I didn't believe them. Ask me any question about the build anytime you want. For Question 1,  I'm still on the fence with metal or fiber glass yet. I know I'm building the frames.. that will be metal welded to gather to hold the whole panels and interior in line. For the shell, engine bay, hood, doors, trunk lid. Either Fiberglass or Metal on those parts. For the shell if I go Fiberglass route I'll make a wire frame and Fiberglass coat it that way. How I'm going to attach the shell to the frame, I'm thinking metal screws at this minute or Maybe Pop Rivets but that could crack the fiberglass though. As for the small parts like Grill and Interior and what not will be made or of plastic and other stuff. Question 2, Well i been working at cleaning and welding here and there on them.. But I do have to reclean them back up though.. I don't think cleaning them will be to hard though. But when I get into final assembly on the frame and bolting things to gather then it could or might be harder then what it is at this stage in the build. But I think if I keep clean and do like the factory did on the real cars I should be available to do it though and bond everything to gather probably with small screws.