Model Cars Magazine Forum

MINE`s R34 Skyline GT-R-Aoshima

Kemszi

Kemszi, do you sand back after the primer.  I use 1000 grit to even the paint and get rid of orange peel effect or dust that settles in the paint.  Then spray the topcoat.  I learnt a lot from The Scalemodelling Channel on youtube, really talented guy from Holland.

28 minutes ago, skid896 said:

Kemszi, do you sand back after the primer.  I use 1000 grit to even the paint and get rid of orange peel effect or dust that settles in the paint.  Then spray the topcoat.  I learnt a lot from The Scalemodelling Channel on youtube, really talented guy from Holland.

he has a really nice shop aswell online... and sells aoshima kits relatively cheap (i havent found them cheaper yet atleast), and also good service when you have questions regarding ordering etc. 

Kemszi, some advice to prevent dust buildup during spraying, i have a hair blow dryer i use to blow over the cars between every layer of primer or paint i put down to blow of any dust that might have collected.... since ive done so, my finishes look 100x better!!

34 minutes ago, skid896 said:

I used nail polish remover because i didn't want too thick coat of paint

I have not heard of using nail polish remover before.  What effect does it have.   Jereon that is good advice I will try the hair dryer next time between coats.  What do you guys do to try and get neat window edging, I really struggle with the detail painting.

you can wash back the paint with it. But it must be careful because it easily cuts the surface, and may not work with all paint types

46 minutes ago, skid896 said:

What do you guys do to try and get neat window edging, I really struggle with the detail painting.

First i use this pen to make the contour line

4902505086311-4902505086311_master.jpg.f9c9819b1cc720751e0dfad3e1891a96.jpg

2.i paint the edge of window with a thin brush.

if I cross the contour ,then  use 3M ultrafine polish, and 3M polishsponge to wash it back

3. use again the pen if it necessary

The acetone in nail polish remover will sometimes damage styrene and the acetone-free nail polish remover doesn't work well at all.  Better off using either the strongest isopropyl rubbing alcohol you can find to soak it, E-Z Off Oven Cleaner, Purple Power/Simple Green or brake fluid.

Stripping paint also depends upon what kind of paint was used and how long it has cured.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:46 PM, Kemszi said:

Thanks
for this i use low pressure compressed air

Be careful not to blow dust onto the paint job.

My trick is to let bodies dry in a cupboard, or at least tip a large box on its side and place the body in the box to dry, so its covered on 3 sides at least. 

On 8-12-2017 at 12:44 AM, JeroenM3 said:

he has a really nice shop aswell online... and sells aoshima kits relatively cheap (i havent found them cheaper yet atleast), and also good service when you have questions regarding ordering etc. 

Kemszi, some advice to prevent dust buildup during spraying, i have a hair blow dryer i use to blow over the cars between every layer of primer or paint i put down to blow of any dust that might have collected.... since ive done so, my finishes look 100x better!!

HI Jeroen, what's the name of his shop, please?