Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMC 48 Ford Coupe - Is it me or the kit?

Harpo

I'm currently building an IMC '48 Ford Coupe, nos kit.  This is another one that I built many years ago and decided to revisit in my return to modeling, but I don't remember it being this weird.  Am I totally rusty, or does this kit contain some of the most ill-fitting badly molded parts ever seen?     

IMC 48 Ford.jpg

I've NEVER had an IMC kit that fit well.  

I don't know off the top of my head if there is a newer 48 Ford coupe available, but I would certainly look for one.  

Conversely, IMC kits, with a lot of work, can be built up to some really nice models.

29 minutes ago, Tom Louis said:

Is the Testors kit the same as IMC? If so, I have two of them. I can tell already that the 3 piece body is going to be a nightmare. Cut the up for modified bodies!  I will rely on my Revell kit for a finished product.

Yes,

The Testors kit is the IMC moulds.

18 hours ago, Mark IV said:

Yes,

The Testors kit is the IMC moulds.

I bought two of the re-boxed Testors versions of the IMC kit- the coupe and the convertible back in the late 80's.

Both had lots of flash, poor chrome and broken parts in the box. As much as I loved the subject matter at the time (and still do), I wasn't able to bring either of those kits across the finish line in a form I considered acceptable. It can be done...

...but it takes a patient and skilled builder willing to fiddle with some fitment issues, especially if you are starting with one of the later issues of these kits. The Revell 48's are easier to coax a great looking shelf model out of, and IMHO have some better proportions. 

It is an old kit and mine had a lot of flash as well, but the key is to keep test fitting and test fit some more. Being an older kit, the details are pretty simplified, which makes fig-iting easier. It is possible to have fun with this kit, but it does have it's challenges. I made things harder for myself by modifying the chassis as well. Glad to see you finished yours. Someone found an old b&w photo of mine from quite a while ago. The doors no longer close on mine.

46frnt34.jpg.0b76b428bb853e71c1744c7be0dc8fba.jpg

15675675_10153973376090740_353474472349706481_o.jpg