Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deluxe foam armour

misterNNL

I am building a 1/25th scale 1936 Airstream Clipper travel trailer. To create the basic body shape I have made a body buck from blue builders foam sheet. This is a common house insulating material available at all  the big box type home improvement centers. I live in Jackson Center where the Airstream factory is located and they have an original '36 Clipper in their collection of antique trailers so I was able to take some photos of it several years ago along with accurate dimensions.

As I have done several time for past projects I had the photos enlarged to 1/25th scale to create templates for the compound of the body shell.I was looking for a way to reinforce the foam buck to make it stronger. After purchasing some acrylic body putty from The Deluxe product line I recieved an advertisement for other Deluxe products. One of those was their # DB50 Foam Armour. This a thick white brushable acrylic product that is easily applied and dries clear in less than 24 hours.You can cleam up with water and there is no odor at all.

Now I think I am going to make paper templates of the many individual segments of the body shell,transfer those to .020" sheet styrene and form them over the foam buck to create the classic lines of this iconic trailer.

I just wanted to pass along what I know about this product to those looking to make stuff from foam and need to make it more durable. I paid about $ 10.00 + postage for a bottle that has 250g in it(British made).

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

...One of those was their # DB50 Foam Armour. This a thick white brushable acrylic product that is easily applied and dries clear in less than 24 hours.You can cleam up with water and there is no odor at all.

...I just wanted to pass along what I know about this product to those looking to make stuff from foam and need to make it more durable. I paid about $ 10.00 + postage for a bottle that has 250g in it(British made).

Good tip, and thanks. 

I've built more than a few things from foam, some pretty big, and I generally use epoxy to provide a hard-shell surface. That can get pretty expensive...

Image result for william Engwer solo urban

Hope that works for you. I figures you would pick up on that topic when I posted it. What it he picture you posted a model of ? Aircraft maybe? The side of this bottle says it will cover one square meter.

Edited by misterNNL
forgotten detail

24 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

... What it he picture you posted a model of ? Aircraft maybe? 

It's a 3-wheeled urban vehicle I designed back in '84, finally raised funding to start building full-scale in '96, and ran out of funding before completion. Still have it, and it's slated as my number-one project after my "official" retirement coming up.     https://contest.techbriefs.com/2010/entries/transportation/871

Image result for william Engwer solo urban

Edited by Ace-Garageguy