Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty Tudor & Blue Bucket

The Dr Of Style

Hi all,
Have been getting stuck into the modelling over the last few weeks, need to work on my patience as I'm always in a bit of a rush and that makes me clumsy. Always seem to think I've got everything ready for paint at the same time but forget/miss one piece which delays the whole process. I've watched a few youtube vids and am starting to get the hang of it. I've been stripping paperclips and buying coloured wire at Spotlight trying to wire up these engines.
First off A Monogram "T"Street Rod basically finished-
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
A couple of engines 1 out of a 69 Dodge Dart kit (bought 2 as I stuffed up one of the bodies) and the other comes from  Revell 31 Ford Model A Sedan Hotrod 2 in 1
Have rusted it up and will put it in a rat rod at some point.
IMG_1387.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg
The last pics are from the same Revell 31 Ford Model A Sedan Hotrod 2 in 1 kit (have another still unopened) 
I got a bit adventurous and tried my hand at kit bashing...possibly should have got in a bit more practice first. I made a cool skull gear shifter which you cant see as I chopped the body so much, Gloss black chassis, real rust on the body and chrome, silver vinyl styled roof. AMT Blown Chrysler engine with AMT drag gasser tyres (think i might go for dome hub white walled tyres instead or something a bit bigger) and some left over parts rusted (will go on a trailer at some point as a "next project" diorama type thing. I think this still needs either some pin striping or some decals but it has been fun working on it.
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1396.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg
IMG_1399.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1402.jpg
The metallic blue is a bit of a common theme which I'm gonna keep.
Thanks for looking any feedback appreciated,
Cheers
Edited by The Dr Of Style

Hey Chris, AB here, good to see another Perth modeller on this site!  That is a very clean job you did on the T bucket.  I'd love to hear about the way you did the rust on the Tudor as I have seen cars in the south-west on farms that looked that rusty.

Are you aware that AMT did a beautiful kit of a 28 Model A Tudor many years ago?  While rare they are still available on the usual auction sites for reasonable prices (especially compared to the prices we pay in Perth!)  If you find a cheap tatty one, most of the trim pieces like bumpers, grille and headlights can be found in the current AMT Mod Rod kit which is still available.  It would be great to see you do your family Tudor as a model.  I can't for the life of me remember if your Dad put a Chevy or a Ford in it but if it is a Windsor I would be happy to give you a spare one out of the Revell 32 kit and you would be on your way.

Cheers

Alan 

Thanks for the comments guys, still amateur level but I'm having fun.

On 08/03/2018 at 4:49 AM, Austin NJ said:

It literally looks like you sprinkled rust into the paint. Haha nice. 

It is actual rust! Found this product years ago when I was making some artworks from a guy here in Perth/Australia. Not a lot of control on how it rusts but thicker paint/more oxidising agent/direct sunlight can make it more orange. I have had objects where the whole thing just looks light brown but it turned out quite well on the model. I just painted straight onto the plastic this time, did the doors/front cowl separately and I like how they have turned out different to the body...at some point I might actually use a camera rather than my crappy phone to take some pictures.

IMG_1404.jpg

On 08/03/2018 at 10:05 AM, alan barton said:

Hey Chris, AB here, good to see another Perth modeller on this site!  That is a very clean job you did on the T bucket.  I'd love to hear about the way you did the rust on the Tudor as I have seen cars in the south-west on farms that looked that rusty.

Are you aware that AMT did a beautiful kit of a 28 Model A Tudor many years ago?  While rare they are still available on the usual auction sites for reasonable prices (especially compared to the prices we pay in Perth!)  If you find a cheap tatty one, most of the trim pieces like bumpers, grille and headlights can be found in the current AMT Mod Rod kit which is still available.  It would be great to see you do your family Tudor as a model.  I can't for the life of me remember if your Dad put a Chevy or a Ford in it but if it is a Windsor I would be happy to give you a spare one out of the Revell 32 kit and you would be on your way.

Cheers

Alan 

Hey Alan....it has a Chev, I have been making an effort to get the car out a lot more this year so keep an eye out!

Having 3 kids under 7yrs is a challenge.

I do have another set of the Revell  31 Ford model A Hotrod 2in1 that is pretty close but I'll have a look out for the 28 one and look at the body shape. I had started a model a while ago but stuffed up the spray paint on the body and never went back to it......

.I'll get there. Not sure if you'll see this in time but was there something rod/model related on at WCSRC this sunday? someone at work was talking about it but I haven't seen anything on the newsletters etc. Hope all's well,

Cheers