Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to find a 1/16th scale Dana 60 rear end ?

19 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I don't think I would recommend that part to anyone. -_-

I don't have the part on hand anymore, but the 1/16 Revell Chevy Stepside 4x4 kits probably have the closest thing to a Dana 60 rear, but I want to say the front and rear differentials/axle housings are more like a Dana 44. I suspect the 1/16 Revell Jeep kits have Dana 44s, too.

*edit* Eh, maybe not...hard to tell:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

Here’s a pic of the axles from that kit. I did think of those as a source. I scored some as parts a few years ago...

I think the rear is meant to be a Dana 60 and the front is meant to be a Dana 44. That would fit with the applications for stock Chevy 4x4 pickups in the 70’s. 

Both axles are a little light in detail. I’m thinking of massaging the 60 a bit and casting a few for myself. I don’t cast “professionally” unfortunatlely, and my work output is somewhat glacial.

If I could find a caster that was both trustworthy and interested, I would probably want to have them do it instead.

In my eyes, the Shapeways piece doesn’t look too bad- it looks as least as good as some 1/25 kit pieces. Casey, why would you not recommend the Shapeways piece? Just curious...

E61D76B7-BB5A-4733-BEDA-7C924DA73E94.jpeg

Thanks for posting those pics, Bill. Those look like a good starting point, but still need some work.

The Shapeways rearend looks too hard-edged and/or 'machined' to my eyes, like it was carved on a CNC machine from a single piece of material-- very few smooth curves, and the center section looks perfectly hexagonal:

710x528_24322253_13347795_1533009739.jpg

I think this is a problem with many parts or things which are created from a computer program-- it'll get the part 90% of the way to the end, but it needs some very fine tuning (if by machine) or a human touch to get the details correct. Maybe that 90% is close enough for some or most people, but all of the 3D printed items I've seen still don't have the same surface finish as a part with was molded from a polished mold.

You're welcome, Casey!

I get it now...and I agree that many 3D parts do look too angular (or simply wrong!). I do see some parts on that site that look pretty acceptable, though. In a pinch, I would use that Dana, maybe knock some of the sharp edges off of it...Danas do tend to have a more organic look to them than that.

I know that 3D has been discussed over and over again here on the board. I for one am pretty excited about the potential for 3D in general, and for 1/16 parts, they seem to be the only game in town.

• 1 month later...