Model Cars Magazine Forum

great tool for spreading body putty

On a rare visit to a "real" hobby shop in Columbus,Ohio recently I was browsing in the Tamiya  tool section and spotted their part number 74017-400. That is a set of two  metal paint stirrers. They are 6" long with one flat paddle style surface on one one and  very narrow spoon shaped other end.I have a project on my workbench right now with some challenging areas where putty application is awkward at best. I can't get the putty in place using any of my normal methods due to space restrictions so this looked like a viable solution. These are not cheap at $ 8.00 a pair but are working perfectly. Check them out as they might also work for you.

I use those fake credit card size pieces of plastic you get with junk mail..... Cut them to the size you need for the job, and toss it in the trash when your done.... ?

I got a million of them.... ?

I wonder if there's a "tools of the trade" thread posted on this site... If not, we should start one.... ?

Stainless steel artists' paint palette spatulas also work quite well.  These are found in the art supplies area of any Michael's or Hobby Lobby, even artists' supply stores.  These are precisely and cleanly cut shapes, and are "sanded/ground" to a tapered thickness, which also makes they flexible, but still "springy", and when dipped into lacquer thinner are great for smoothing down lacquer spot n glaze putty much more than any wooden or plastic tool can do.  Been using them for a couple of decades now.

Art

On 10/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, Deuces said:

I use those fake credit card size pieces of plastic you get with junk mail..... Cut them to the size you need for the job, and toss it in the trash when your done.... ?

I got a million of them.... ?

I wonder if there's a "tools of the trade" thread posted on this site... If not, we should start one.... ?

I do that quite often, great idea. Best thing its free, and keeps some of the junk out of the land fill. Just a little bit.....