Model Cars Magazine Forum

OTB, 1970 Ferrari 512s Coda Lunga (update 05/09)

Figured my first "real" post should be a current project, so here it is, a Fisher Model & Pattern Ferrari 512s Coda Lunga resin curbside. This is going to be the red #5 factory entry of Ickx/Schetty (before it was wrecked by Ickx). I acquired the kit from another modeller, so it was missing the axle blocks. I've made new ones from evergreen sheet and aluminum tube, and have the ride height and wheel track set. Since this kit also builds the yellow Belgian entry, it doesn't have the vents in the fenders, so I am going to add those (when I get the courage to cut this thing up) and get ready for primer.

512-1.jpg

512-2.jpg

512-3.jpg

512-4.jpg

That's a very nice subject you have there Brian, and I'm sure that it will be just a stunning as your other creations. Its too bad its a curb-side...I would like to see what you could do with the engine in this one.

• 1 month later...

Small update for small progress.....in a small modelling slump. The kit comes with both resin and photo-etch spoilers, the rear being three piece. Since there is little surface area to attach these to the car, I feel they will be very easily broken off the finished model. To hopefully remedy this, I made a one piece rear spoiler from .020" sheet styrene. There is a good amount of play in the fit of the chassis to the body, so I made a pair of locating/attachment points by removing one side of some styrene square tubing. Also narrowed the wheel track a bit more to get the wheels under the fender edges. Still haven't cut the vents....

:oops:

512progress-1.jpg

512progress-2.jpg

512progress-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The last time the Fisher Model & Pattern 1970 Ferrari 512s Coda Lunga curbside was shown, I was still too chicken to cut the openings in the fenders for the vents needed to replicate s/n 1038, driven by Jacky Ickx and Peter Schetty at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970. Well, today I decided to have at it, and cut it up. I am surprised at the thickness of the body, but this might be a good thing, since it will allow more surface area to attach the slats. Still have to finesse the shape a little more, then it's on to making and installing the slats.

512-5.jpg

512-6.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a great one, Brian. I love vintage race cars...I wish I'd been able to see the 512s run (although I saw the 312s race in Germany) but I hope I'll be able to see it in scale form when you've finished working your magic on this one.

Latest update, got the slats installed!

I used some CA to attach a strip of .020" sheet to each side of an X-Acto saw blade, and cut slots in each side of the openings. .020" sheet was use for the slats, and held in place with CA. There are ten slats per side, but because of tolerance stacking when cutting all the slots, they are not symmetrical side to side. While I would have liked to have it more even, but I think it'll look alright once in primer and paint, and the decals are applied.

Brian

512svents-1.jpg

512svents-2.jpg

they look pretty even to me, esp after you clean up the left side one a bit with a #11 blade!

could you explain your technique a bit more? i lost it with the glueing strips to the saw blade bit. maybe you had to be there?

looking good though!

I glued the strips to the blade to use as a guide for the slat spacing and the depth of the cuts, hoping to make repeatable cuts. Basically, cut slots for one slat, glue the slat in place, then use the slat as a guide for the next cut. It worked to a point, but because I was basically freehanding the cuts against the slats, I ended up with a good bit of tolerance stack. There is still a good amount of cleanup work to do before primer, but the hard part is done, and I can live with it on the shelf. Here's the modified saw blade:

blade-1.jpg

blade-2.jpg