Model Cars Magazine Forum

Karate Kid 1948 Ford Convertible

spencer1984

Those are great kits, and you did it justice...very nicely done.

I noticed the lettering on the trunk emblem isn't filled in and (hard to tell) same goes for the lettering on the dog dishes and hood badge. This can still be remedied with little or no risk to the finished model.

I use the watercolors meant for children; less than $2 at Walmart.

image.thumb.png.734c4a0f58b4c89cc91a96c0b5a896e2.png

Get the paint sort-of thick, then fill in the letters; if you color outside the lines, no big deal. After the paint is dry, dampen a business card and use the edge to wipe away any excess.

The same technique can be used for grilles...

image.thumb.png.e0bad33be94adc165f9361e301d2994a.png

Edited by BigTallDad

Thanks guys, and thanks for the tip on painting the badges/wheels! I've just started experimenting with the Apple Barrel paints in the last couple of weeks, so far trying out various thicknesses and mixes on parts like grilles and wire wheels. I hadn't really thought about using the brighter colors for trim, but may revisit this model to do just that.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting a thread from a couple years back to prove I do appreciate the feedback, even if the actual work gets done at a pace generally reserved for geological events!

On 1/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Looks awesome. Just the badge on the hood is upside down. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, BigTallDad said:

I noticed the lettering on the trunk emblem isn't filled in and (hard to tell) same goes for the lettering on the dog dishes and hood badge. This can still be remedied with little or no risk to the finished model.

I've got another '48 in the works right now, and wanted to paint its block the same color as this one in a bid for continuity among postwar flatheads. Since that meant I finally had to get this one out of the case, I took care of the above-mentioned goofs and also corrected a couple other details that I missed earlier.

karate-kid-ford-05.jpg.e622ae5b0ac30e6e26953723dd5ee1c6.jpg

karate-kid-ford-06.jpg.07dc3424b89919799afeb640c5696306.jpg

karate-kid-ford-07.jpg.315f2f918861f95faf7edf1757128519.jpg

Edited by spencer1984
typo