Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Garage DIO Kit #2 Un-Boxing Review

GlueTube

Un-Boxing AMT Garage Diorama Kit #2

Tip Top Shop Part #AMTPP9016M/12

Once the box was opened it was apparent that this kit was going to be of typical modern offering with all components poly bagged including the decals.

The first tree I pulled out I will describe as the “Soft Drink Machine”. Molding is nice and simple. Included on the tree are six oil cans and what I believe is to be a card board box for the cans.  The molding is best described as heavy and in-elegant on the oil cans. The same can be said for the box which in my opinion could have been better served by providing a paper cut out that would have been much more to scale.

Next was the “Jack Stand Tree” that included 4 nice stands that could be assembled at any height. Also provided on the tree were a convincing floor jack and engine stand. Simple but convincing.

Rolling along I dug out the “Air Compressor Tree”. Nicely molded and includes a killer representation of a siphon fee spray gun.

The “Oil Drum Tree” incorporated a drain pan, fire extinguisher, gas can and pay phone, all period correct for the 1960 early 1970’s time frame.

The “Work Bench Tree” included a bench vice that could have the jaws adjusted, giving potential for extra drama on the work bench!

The “Figure Tree” was the molding that I was looking most forward to examining closely, as there is a lack of dual scale figures (1/24. 1/25) for the diorama builder to choose from. Sadly, the figures details are molded rather soft, at least by the standards of the modern 1/35 scale figures. Fortunately MAIM, makes a selection of, 1/24 scale heads that can be substituted.

Decals round out the offering, with two bizarre image prints. A pegboard hole image that would have been better served by eliminating the image entirely and molding holes into the peg board, similar to the depressions molded into disk brake rotors. The second looks like sanded primer spots. I would have preferred different oil can brands rather than some thing I could easily and convincingly brush paint onto the model.

box art.jpg

COKE TREE.jpg

compressor tree.jpg

DECAL SHEET.jpg

Figure tree.jpg

INSTRUCTION SHEET.jpg

Jack stand tree.jpg

OIL DRUM TREE.jpg

work bench tree.jpg