Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charles Carpenter 55 Shoebox

I've had this kit probably as long as I've had this signed drivers card, 1988. I'm practicing as it's been 30 years since my last completed model and this one has to be done as right as I have the time for. Which means I'll get it near perfect as cast, probably a few aftermarket parts but nothing over the top show winning build. 

That said, I'm debating to decal it out of the box or enlist someone to print me the proper decals off of the drivers card. Curious what others thoughts are. Thanks for reading.

AJ

IMG_20190307_221612119.jpg

I would have to agree with the others, a one-off build would be much more satisfying.  BTW, I really like your background, the C-130 is my favorite aircraft of all times.  It was the first airplane I worked on in my USAF career, and we crossed paths a few more times in those 21 years.

35 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I would have to agree with the others, a one-off build would be much more satisfying.  BTW, I really like your background, the C-130 is my favorite aircraft of all times.  It was the first airplane I worked on in my USAF career, and we crossed paths a few more times in those 21 years.

I retired, POL, out of Dyess just over a year ago. When did you retire? We may have crossed paths ourselves. 

I made that with a sand blast cabinet for my shop but they didn't want to use it so I kept it. 

IMG_20190309_081939438.jpg

Edited by U_ser_ID

4 hours ago, U_ser_ID said:

I retired, POL, out of Dyess just over a year ago. When did you retire? We may have crossed paths ourselves. 

I did pass through Dyess once. we were returning from a TDY to Shaw AFB, enroute to Pope AFB in 1970; they would not allow us to fly back to our home bases direct.  I retired in 1989, was Airborne Communications Repair, Welder, Airborne Communications Repair (not by choice), and finally Ground Communications Operations.

16 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I did pass through Dyess once. we were returning from a TDY to Shaw AFB, enroute to Pope AFB in 1970; they would not allow us to fly back to our home bases direct.  I retired in 1989, was Airborne Communications Repair, Welder, Airborne Communications Repair (not by choice), and finally Ground Communications Operations.

Rick did you ever stop in the Toledo Airbase? 180th . I know they are reserves as a Friend retired out of that base. He was also in communications.  His Last Name is  Faust. 

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Sorry to say I wasn't in the AF when you retired. That's cool you did different jobs while in. I had the same AFSC for 20 yrs... It's all good, doing a cross train now that I'm out. Going into auto collision with dreams of getting into classic auto restoration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, TarheelRick said:

Sorry to say I wasn't in the AF when you retired. That's cool you did different jobs while in. I had the same AFSC for 20 yrs... It's all good, doing a cross train now that I'm out. Going into auto collision with dreams of getting into classic auto restoration.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, abelaxe said:

Looking forward to following this build...I also Served in the Air Force from 1983-1987. I was stationed at McConnell AFB. I worked on KC-135 tankers.

Thanks for your service abelaxe. It will be a little while as I want to build a couple practice models to freshen up my building "skills" before I attempt this one. I'm just about done with my 64 Imp low rider. Going to customize a 77(?) Chevy truck that has a plow. Not building this one as it's, going to lower it. If I'm happy with these two then I might jump over to the 55. If I feel I'm not ready I'll build another practice kit.

Edited by U_ser_ID
It's a GMC not Chevy... :)

On 3/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, U_ser_ID said:

Thanks for your service abelaxe. It will be a little while as I want to build a couple practice models to freshen up my building "skills" before I attempt this one. I'm just about done with my 64 Imp low rider. Going to customize a 77(?) Chevy truck that has a plow. Not building this one as it's, going to lower it. If I'm happy with these two then I might jump over to the 55. If I feel I'm not ready I'll build another practice kit.

Thank you for your service as well.