Model Cars Magazine Forum

Announcement: Additional events surrounding 40th NNL Nationals ...

tim boyd

…..some of you may already know about this, but for those that don't, I am copying here an announcement on Facebook from one of the NNL Founders, Chuck Helppie (who was also the MPC National Champion for 1977), regarding additional NNL-related activities that are planned for the Friday evening preceding, and the Saturday evening following, what will be the last-ever NNL Nationals in Sylvania, Ohio this October.

I don't participate on Facebook, but for those of you who do, I recommend you follow the Facebook page Chuck has setup for developments as they occur. I believe you can find it by doing a search on Facebook for "NNL Founders Present...."

Here is the text of the initial announcement:

"All model car builders are invited to join us October 11-12, 2019 in Toledo, Ohio for the largest gathering of historical models in the history of our hobby.

We are creating a "Ring of Honor" to showcase the most significant models of all time. We are bringing together in one location as many of the National Champions from 1960-2019 who we can locate. Revell/Pactra and Revell/Testors champions from the 1960's; MPC National Champions from the 1970's; and GSL Best of Show winners from the event’s beginning are invited.

We are also calling for ALL model car magazine cover cars to join us as well.

Mark Gustavson (honorary NNL Founder) will also be joining us for what we envision to be the once-in-a-lifetime “Woodstock” of our hobby.

Friday night, October 11, 2019 at the Radisson at the University of Toledo: Banquet celebrating our model car hobby with special guest speakers and stories.

Saturday afternoon, October 12, 2019: Original NNL Nationals in nearby Sylvania, Ohio

Saturday night, October 12, 2019 at the Radisson at the University of Toledo: The unveiling of the “Ring of Honor” and the largest single gathering of model car magazine cover cars ever held!

Room reservations may be made at the Radisson at the University of Toledo by calling (419)381-6800 and requesting the “NNL 40th Anniversary Celebration.” We have 50 rooms with free breakfast blocked out for our group. Come join us for the party!

Many of us are sad to see the NNL Nats end its annual run as the original non-competitive model car event this fall, but Chuck's plans sound like a heckuva way to celebrate this milestone in our hobby! In talking with Chuck about the event, it sounds to me like he is working to recreate some of the comradery and the infectious fun environment that made up so much of the earliest NNL Nationals events, while also honoring and celebrating every one who has made Adult Model Car Building such an enjoyable hobby for us all.

If you have any questions, I recommend you contact Chuck directly via the above Facebook page....and, be sure to keep up with the plans as they develop.

Best....TIM