Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '69 Impala Hardtop restoration

ranma

I bought it off Ebay with Buy it now. Body went into the paint stripper yesterday after it arrived. This is the body  before and  going in the paint remover, and after I washed it with soap and water this morning. I still have to find a stock hood for it though!

69 Impala b.jpg

DSC03906.JPG

DSC03907.JPG

DSC03908.JPG

DSC03909.JPG

69 Impala.jpg

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, ranma said:

Regular paint thinner that I bought from wal-mart in a plastic  quart container

You're using paint thinner for stripping paint from plastic models?! :blink:

You might want to be careful with that.

Not sure what type of thinner you have there, but as a rule, paint thinner will turn the plastic into a nice little puddle.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

but as a rule, paint thinner will turn the plastic into a nice little puddle.

This is the thinner I've been using. It has not damaged any of the plastic kit's Ive had in it. Infact the '69 Impala convertible was in in for almost a week. as the orange paint didn't want to get off the body.

1 thinner.jpeg

5 hours ago, ranma said:

This is the thinner I've been using. It has not damaged any of the plastic kit's Ive had in it. Infact the '69 Impala convertible was in in for almost a week. as the orange paint didn't want to get off the body.

1 thinner.jpeg

You're a braver man than I !

Most "paint thinners" are petroleum distillates, (mineral spirits) and are about as safe for plastic as gasoline!

Just be cognoscente that all paint thinners are not the same and not interchangeable for applications like this.

Polystyrene plastic, (the same stuff that Styrofoam is made of) is highly unstable and does not play well with almost any solvent.

That's why you see so much discussion around here about what is safe to use for stripping and painting models.

I wouldn't want some poor novice visitor to the forum get the impression that they can drop their prized rare model into any old paint thinner to strip it! ;)

Steve