Model Cars Magazine Forum

A question about Testor's MM engine colours

I realize this is a question which may not have an answer, but why did Testor's choose the colour palette they did for their engine paints? I can understand the variety of medium/dark blues in the line, but what is with all the reds? Apart from 1 year of Chevrolet V8s and a pile of Chrysler slant sixes, there is little call for factory red engine paint. Where's all the orange and light blue/green shades that factory stock builders could use? Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

Apart from 1 year of Chevrolet V8s and a pile of Chrysler slant sixes, there is little call for factory red engine paint. 

One year, WHAT? All the BBC 396-427-454s from 1965 till some point well into the '70s--as well as many, maybe even most small blocks, were that wonderful shade of Chevy Engine Red. 

I wonder why they went with Olds Engine Blue, as there's not much to use it on, but it's a great generic medium metallic blue and I've done several models in it. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

One year, WHAT? All the BBC 396-427-454s from 1965 till some point well into the '70s--as well as many, maybe even most small blocks, were that wonderful shade of Chevy Engine Red. 

I wonder why they went with Olds Engine Blue, as there's not much to use it on, but it's a great generic medium metallic blue and I've done several models in it. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the bottles of Chevrolet Engine Red I have in my stash are mislabeled. I checked the online photos of a number of different engines, and I am not seeing the shade which I airbrushed. It is a very intense, almost blood red shade. I would post pictures, but I have already re-sprayed the engine with Chevrolet Red from a local auto parts store.  

10 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the bottles of Chevrolet Engine Red I have in my stash are mislabeled. I checked the online photos of a number of different engines, and I am not seeing the shade which I airbrushed. It is a very intense, almost blood red shade. I would post pictures, but I have already re-sprayed the engine with Chevrolet Red from a local auto parts store.  

Maybe so. All the MM Chevy Engine Red I've used has been a brilliant red-orange, just as it should be.  The blood-red color you're describing sounds almost like the Chrysler Engine Red. :huh: