Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Javelin Pro-touring scratchbuilt

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

54 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Well, to poke some fun at you, your suggestion is a bit "ritch", Al. Seriously, they are rare! 

The blue one above costed me 60$CDN, and surprisingly, was found 3 miles from my home! After years of research. Go figure...

The extra one I have is exactly the same, but in pale yellow, and even has the original box. Paid 110$ CDN for this puppy found on the web. One flaw: passenger side windshield post cracked. Repairable of course, but this plastic (or is-it acetate?) is very difficult to glue. Most common adhesive fail. Don't know why. Any idea?

CT

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. 

I get slack once in a while from fellow modelers regarding my use of more "subdued" colors... I will use bold colors and graphics once in a while, but my preference is for subtle nuances. 

Harry Bradley created pony-cars station wagons designs for Carl Life magazine eons ago. One was a Javelin station wagon, even more slick than the one in the illustration above. I will try to locate it in my files and post it here ASAP. 

As to the use of brown, Willy G, Davidson, head designer for the Motor Company created a Sturgis model in 82, dark clocolate brown (with a touch of khaki) with black contrast panels, with titanium anodized mag wheels. It was a stunner, in my view.

I also fondly recall a 68 Eldorado in my small town when I was a teenager and avid modeler: it was VERY dark brown ( even more than UPS trucks), almost black. I was convinced from that moment on that brown can INDEED be associated with more than basic commercial use.

CT 

Glad to know I'm not the only one that picks those cars from the crowd! Growing up one my dads "putts around town" cars was a 65 Belair post. Beige with a bright red interior. That was the car that turned me on to that color palette. Recently I was at the Packard Museum in Dayton and one of my favorites was this animal. Dark brown, tan top, orange pinstripes. The gentleman that purchased it new had some class. The guy drinking a beer and photo bombing was part of a wedding party that was there haha

20190531_193900.jpg

• 1 month later...