Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gyan Crusader - Legitimizing a "Build" Gundam kit

For me, building models is an equal part of artistic expression and attention to detail. It all depends on the kit itself, and how I’m feeling at the time. When it comes to Gundams, though, it’s a toss-up, in most cases, as to whether I’ll build it box-stock or customize it. One thing I do love to do, though, is make non-canonical MSs fit into their respective (although usually it’s the UC) universe!

As if reading my mind, Bandai’s excellent “Build Fighters” series kits walk the perfect line between canon and fanciful,  and there are many great designs that improve on their originals rather well. One example of that is the fanciful, knight-like “Gyancelot”. With a plumed headdress, cape and Zeon Crest-shaped spear, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s just not UC-able. However, that’s just what I did – reworked the mech’s colours and backstory so it made sense within the UC timeline!

Check it out below, and let me know what you think. Have you had any other ideas of what to do with your Gyancelot, if you have one?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/bandai-1-144-yms-15gc-gyan-crusader/

gyan-crusader-009.jpg?w=400

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ken!

Yeah, Bandai just knows how to make kits. When you consider the amount of engineering to make a snap kit that good, that can move the way it does, has the detail it does and still be a great kit for hardcore modelling, it's truly amazing!

What ones have you been working on? 

I have been working on the Winning Fumina and the Hyper Gyanko figures, but there are a few others I will probably get sooner or later. The Bear'Guy kits are intriguing, and I'm tempted by that large scale Haro that my local shop keeps restocking. I was really impressed by the latest one I saw on my last trip to Wheels and Wings (the big Fumina  figure, where you layer the parts in order to get an accurate skin tone representation), but I couldn't justify the buy-in at almost $100.

• 1 month later...

Man, that's "great minds think alike" made real! I was just looking at those two kits after watching the Battalogue episode on Saturday! I've yet to build one of the "girl" kits, although I have a bunch. I'm not sure how to treat them; as MS kits I don't mind the joints, but as figure kits, they drive me nuts.

So, do I pose them, then glue, putty and paint, or do I build them as is and assume they're models, like in the show (which is weird)? Or, am I overthinking it? I can't help but wonder if that's the case here... :)

I didn't know that big Fumina was that much! I am amazed Wheels and Wings had one - I remember a time a few years ago I'd go in there and they'd have only a couple of Gundams. less than 10 years ago, and they didn't even know what an MS was! Now they've got tonnes. Kudos to them for recognizing a growing segment of the modelling world, and kudos to Bandai for just continuing to push until Gundam kits are everywhere!

I've never paid more than $100 for a kit. Of anything. Ever. However, I'm likely going to have to when the Penelope comes out. FML that thing is huge!

I treat them as MS kits, since those kits are meant to replicate 'actual' Gunpla builds. I picked up one of the Build Divers kits though, and it is a challenge to build  it as a figure kit; I keep thinking of the filling I will need to do to make it look accurate. I agree with you on the selection at Wheels and Wings, but back in the day, Gundam builders were more likely to buy those kits at the stores in Markham, or at the small import hobby shop which used to be on Gerrard St. My LHS in Ottawa didn't start getting into Gundam until the market really started to heat up.

At some point, I need to take some pictures and post them to this thread. I have a fair bit of construction done on the Fumina kit, but haven't worked on it recently.

12 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

At some point, I need to take some pictures and post them to this thread. I have a fair bit of construction done on the Fumina kit, but haven't worked on it recently.

Here are the under construction pics of the Fumina Gundam. The armour and weaponry still needs painting and assembly, so hopefully soon.

33A0EDD6-5E68-4901-A72A-519E0C7E5FB5.jpeg

991A9747-1ED8-474C-BC76-6EEEF32BBDC7.jpeg

B1C832F4-392B-4A3B-9A80-2E32A28B2010.jpeg