Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Bel Air mainstream model

RDean58

While digging through my 62 parts boxes looking for something, I discovered that I had enough parts to build another 62 Bel Air. The first one I built was way back in 2011. I thought about it for while and decided I wanted to build a small block car, namely a 283. Something that the vast majority probably bought new in 62. I sourced some white wall tires from the last release of the AMT 53 Studebaker and found a set of steel rims from the AMT 59 El Camino kit that fit the tires better than the steelies that came in the 62 Bel Air kit. I'll use the poverty caps from one of my Revell 62 kits on this.

I just happened to have a 283 engine/trans from the AMT new tool 57 sitting on my bench, I sourced a 2bbl intake from an AMT 55 Cameo pickup kit, valve covers, water pump/timing chain cover, exhaust manifolds, and the starter from Revell old tool 57 Bel Air kit. I'm using the air cleaner from a Revell 65 pickup kit.

Then, what to paint it? I wanted something to go along with my current 62 to 64 Impala builds, so nothing to crazy. I settled on Tamiya Mica Silver, not quite the silver that Chevys came in in 1962 but close enough for me for this build. Besides, I would have to order some silver leaf and I feared I'd lose momentum if I stopped to order paint. For my Revell 62 Builds I had bought some Model Car Garage phot-etch because the Impala SS kit did not have any SS badges for it while the PE set did. The PE set also includes bel air scripts, and the 283 fender badging. So I removed the crossed flags and "409" from the front fenders prior to painting.

So, how's it going? Check out the Pics to see :-)

AMT_1962_Belair_Silver_01.jpg

AMT_1962_Belair_Silver_02.jpg

AMT_1962_Belair_Silver_03.jpg

AMT_1962_Belair_Silver_04.jpg

Other 62s on my bench, Silver Bel Air, white walls, poverty caps, 2 BBL 283; Gold Impala black walls, poverty caps and base (single 4 BBL) 409;  Black Impala White walls, full wheel covers, 327 4 BBL

AMT_1962_Belair_Silver_05.jpg

Thanks for looking and more later on...