Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Shelby American Price List

In 1966 these prices represented a LOT of money. Hard to relate just how much ?  In 1966 I bought a new '66 Chevrolet Impala SS with the 396 engine, 4-speed, with positraction. The chassis had the F-41 Sport Suspension with HD Shocks and front and rear sway bars. The interior had the full instrumentation package. This put a Tach. where the clock wound normally be  plus a four gage stack between the consul and the bottom of the dash board. This gave you oil pressure, amp gauge, water temp., and clock. Sounds were provided by an AM radio and rear seat speaker. MSRP was $3600.00 in 1969. Does this help put the Shelby price list in prospective ? Not saying it wasn't worth what they were asking but it can be difficult to relate to prices from 50 plus years ago. 

My Dad had a 65 Shelby, but had to sell because I was born and we can't have a kid without a back seat, can we? Interesting to hear stories from him about this now like when he told me about cracking the block in a drag race and the dealer wanted to put in a Ford stock 289. He said "no", and with my sister and I being born he bought a regular mustang. His Shelby was a demo and had Webers on it and he had bought dual quads/intake from the parts dept but never used them. He kept the never used intake set-up, the valve covers, and oil pan too. Still have the parts in original boxes. Talk about prices through the roof-I think he says the Shelby was priced around $4200 (a lot then!)-We've been offered $7000 for the intake set-up, but Dad won't sell ever. They just sit in boxes out in the garage. I keep telling him he should have kept the Webers!