Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large scale VAN kits

Tamiya made a 1/12 rc van called Vanessa’s Lunchbox. It was a late ‘70s/early ‘80s Dodge, I believe. The body is styrene, and thick enough to work on like a regular plastic model. You can find the bodies on eBay. No need to buy an rc van and use only the body. You’ll need to come up a chassis and interior, but you have a great start for a cool van model. 

Mark, thanks for correcting my erroneous thinking about the scale of the Revell Big Bad Van being 1/12 instead of 1/16th.     Many years since I have seen one over here in the UK.

Nice size to practice custom paint jobs with the air brush.   The Airfix Wallace and Grommit 'Curse of the Were Rabbit' Van based on the little Austin A35 Van common over here in the sixties scales at 1/12th.  I used this to make a custom van to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of IPMS in 2013.  MCM ran my article about it some time ago in 2014 I think. I used some of the the customising bits from the Monogram 1/12th scale 57 Chevy that I built stock at the time. The model has since been shipped to the International Model Car Builders Museum in Sandy Utah and is now on permanent exhibition there. That was a nice van model for doing a custom paint job in gold metal flake and Alclad's Blue Candy Colour.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark, I shipped the model to the museum about a year ago. I think it took some time before it was collected. Mark G. tells me that it arrived in good condition. Maybe next time you visit it will be on display.

If you have a copy of MCM Jan 2015 you will be able to see my build article in it. It is the Airfix Wallace and Grommit Curse of the Were Rabbit Van (Austin A35) with leftover custom bits from Monogram 1/12 scale 57Chevy.

IPMS Van, Elevated side view of van fitted to complimentary  base..JPG

IPMS Van, Frontal View..JPG

Edited by Bugatti Fan