Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 Discontinued a lot of kits

Mr mopar

On 3/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Mike999 said:

I'm sort of surprised the '50 Ford "Showboat" is just now being discontinued.  A few months ago, it was in Ollie's for $9.99.  I got one for Christmas with part of the price tag still on it.  Along with another Ollie's special, the Lindberg '37 Custom Ford Convertible. 

Basically just means that someone like Stevens can't order more from Round 2, as Round 2 sent what they had left to Ollies, and since the kit isn't being made anymore, it is now discontinued.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:28 PM, niteowl7710 said:

As it stands right now they pushed the early March kits out at the end of February and there isn't much of anything on any part of the Round2 distribution list for March.

That is mostly because their factory is smack dab in the middle of Coronavirus alley in China. Workers were off for Chinese New Year, and then the virus hit and they were pretty much told to stay home so as to not spread the virus.

Round 2 has made it known to distributors and retailers that it could be April before any new kits arrive on shore. That was 2 weeks ago, so things may have changed since. If the workers are out longer, then it is going to push back the release of any new kits further.

Basically anything that was on the water by Chinese New Year was safe, anything after that wouldn't get made until the factory was back up and running, and at this point, I don't think that has happened yet.

3 hours ago, Scott - Elm City Hobbies said:

That is mostly because their factory is smack dab in the middle of Coronavirus alley in China. Workers were off for Chinese New Year, and then the virus hit and they were pretty much told to stay home so as to not spread the virus.

Round 2 has made it known to distributors and retailers that it could be April before any new kits arrive on shore. That was 2 weeks ago, so things may have changed since. If the workers are out longer, then it is going to push back the release of any new kits further.

Basically anything that was on the water by Chinese New Year was safe, anything after that wouldn't get made until the factory was back up and running, and at this point, I don't think that has happened yet.

I don’t remember when Chinese New Year was but all at once the virus was everywhere especially China..

4 hours ago, Scott - Elm City Hobbies said:

They're back up and running. Kits were added to the April releases this morning, and also in Chad's 30 second cameo appearance in the March 2020 video he mentions that production has been restarted and they'll have kits in April.

13 hours ago, slusher said:

I don’t remember when Chinese New Year was but all at once the virus was everywhere especially China..

Virus hit right about the end of their break, and employees were told to stay home to mitigate the spread.

Chinese New Year started this year on Jan 25 and goes for 15 days.