Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isolation build. Autocar DC-9964B

Well, I know that I am not alone in this whole ordeal, staying at home, self isolation, etc. I was feeling like I needed a distraction and "fast" build. By fast build I mean something I can build OBB and just work on. No need to order stuff, no resin parts, just open the box and build. Something to get my mind off the fact that I am stuck at home (like everyone else) and need a distraction.

I got this kit several months ago for my birthday and had mixed feelings about it as I didn't know what direction I wanted to go with it. Well, as you can see I decided to go for a well used work truck. As you can see I got a lot done in one weekend, I had nothing else to do. At the current rate of this build I should have it done by next weekend. One week build, this has to be a record for me. These are weird times we are in and I am blessed that the worst issue i have is that I am so bored I have to spend time building models. I am still employed, working from home and my family is all healthy. 

So, on with the truck. I have begun to weather it, but still have more to do. I lined the bed with foil and then scraped it off to allow the metal to show through. I also heated the bed up and dented the sides where the rocks and abuse would have bent up the bed. The side rail and steps on the bed are solder so I could bend them and beat them up a bit. The wood is mis-matched in color to look like they were replaced at different times. I "grunged" it up a bit too. I am still up in the air as to the front fender color and if it should be Green or maybe a tan/brown or even black. I may dent them up a bit too. 

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

I have been playing around with different weathering options. So far they seem to be working OK. I have had a lot of time this weekend/week to make progress on this build. Still a lot to do, but getting there. Currently the chrome is drying from a matte clear coat to tone things down. 

This is just one of those trucks that I could not do in a new from the factory look. Its a work truck and just had to be beat up. 

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

This turned out to be a 5 day build. Opened the box Friday afternoon and finished it today, Wednesday around 3:30. Crazy what a "stay at home" order will do for your model hobby. It was a fun break from my more serious builds. 

See the finished project here: