Model Cars Magazine Forum

BSI 5 Minute Epoxy storage question

Just curious if you are supposed to reinsert those inner caps that come with BSI 5 Minute Epoxy?  It sure is a pain and is messy but I don't want it to go bad either.  I'm thinking these should be tossed after you first open the epoxy but wanted to make sure before I do.

Those plugs are there for shipping and long-term storage.  Once removed, having the little conical hats covering the spout ends in the caps should be sufficient.

I suppose that if you are planning on not using it for extended period of time, you could reinstall those plugs.

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Those plugs are there for shipping and long-term storage.  Once removed, having the little conical hats covering the spout ends in the caps should be sufficient.

I suppose that if you are planning on not using it for extended period of time, you could reinstall those plugs.

Thanks Peter.. That is what I was thinking too since you have to mix the stuff to harden it but wanted to be sure. 

Thanks for jogging my memory on 5-minute epoxy.  My favorite brand for centuries was Dev-Con, in the 2 separate tubes.  The separate tubes make it a lot easier to change the mix: a little more Hardener for quicker drying, a little more Resin if you want it to dry slower.

The separate tubes are also a lot neater than those %!(*!! 2-part epoxies in the "syringe." No matter how careful I am, those always seem to end up squirting out too much of one side or the other. 

This vendor sells the old-school Dev-Con in tubes.  It's the "Dev-Tube" option on their website.  They also have the "Dev-Pak" syringe type.

https://www.gesswein.com/p-5110-devcon-5-minute-epoxy.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkbjY54T66QIVkIbACh0L-QduEAQYAiABEgKQlvD_BwE

Edited by Mike999
goof

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Thanks for jogging my memory on 5-minute epoxy.  My favorite brand for centuries was Dev-Con, in the 2 separate tubes.  The separate tubes make it a lot easier to change the mix: a little more Hardener for quicker drying, a little more Resin if you want it to dry slower.

The BSI epoxy mentioned here is also packaged in 2 bottles.

5 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Yep.. two big bottles

Yup, this stuff  is great.

quik_cure.jpg

I always buy the smallest one available (unless I had a large project where I  thought I could use the lager quantity) because even at 4.5 oz. it will take me couple years to use it up.  And this stuff does thicken in time. Still works but it gets harder to mix. I rather not let it sit that long.

43 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yup, this stuff  is great.

I always buy the smallest one available (unless I had a large project where I  thought I could use the lager quantity) because even at 4.5 oz. it will take me couple years to use it up.  And this stuff does thicken in time. Still works but it gets harder to mix. I rather not let it sit that long.

Thanks.  I've had the Bob Smith epoxy in 2 bottles, and kept it long enough that it started thickening.  That's another reason I liked the Dev-Con in the 2 smaller tubes. I generally used it up before that started happening.

Ah, I missed that part.  I also have and use epoxy in the smaller metal (toothpaste-type) tubes.  Both 5-minute and JB Weld.

One can never have enough adhesives! I'm bad! When my GF and I pass by the adhesives section of Home Depot, she rolls her eyes and tells me to look away from the adhesives display. :D

24 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ah, I missed that part.  I also have and use epoxy in the smaller metal (toothpaste-type) tubes.  Both 5-minute and JB Weld.

One can never have enough adhesives! I'm bad! When my GF and I pass by the adhesives section of Home Depot, she rolls her eyes and tells me to look away from the adhesives display. :D

You mean there is one?  I need to check it out :)  I usually get mine at HL

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

You mean there is one?  I need to check it out :)  I usually get mine at HL

I stop at *ANY* adhesives display in any store!  Even in drug stores, or beauty supply shops. I'm addicted to glue!  :D Always looking for some new adhesive that I can use for my hobbies.

Yes, the big-box hardware stores have adhesives sections (usually in one of the paint isles) with all sorts of adhesives that can be used in out hobbies.

Edited by peteski