Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 T-Bird yellowed glass

9 hours ago, Mark IV said:

"As long as the windshield doesn't have any compound curves in it, (which I don't believe the '63 T-Bird should have) it won't be difficult to do."

Obviously you have never installed a "Bullet Bird" windshield, they are the poster child for compound curves! I have done many on 1/1 cars and with the rubber retaining gasket to hold it in the frame you really get a feel for the curves, not just in plan view but in profile and front elevation. There is not a close to flat surface on one!

I didn't say that I knew anything about the '63 T-Bird glass, and I don't.

I was merely providing an option if in fact it didn't have compound curves.

And as we all know, parts provided in model kits do not necessarily mimic the real thing.

The only way to know for certain whether it will work or not, is to try it.

Steve 

Quick update...  finally got a nice sunny day here in the Wisconsin northwoods today and I was able to soak the glass in hydrogen peroxide in full sun for 10 hours so far and unfortunately no change in the yellow.  I'm thinking I'll need to make my own.  I'll post in the wanted section to see if anyone might have a spare front windshield from the common '62 convertible kit.  I think the rear glass might be a bit easier than the front.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 hour ago, hedotwo said:

Quick update...  finally got a nice sunny day here in the Wisconsin northwoods today and I was able to soak the glass in hydrogen peroxide in full sun for 10 hours so far and unfortunately no change in the yellow.  I'm thinking I'll need to make my own.  I'll post in the wanted section to see if anyone might have a spare front windshield from the common '62 convertible kit.  I think the rear glass might be a bit easier than the front.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Be sure to add the 1961-1963 Thunderbird annuals to your request in the wanted section.

There were a ton of these models and promos produced during that 3 year period.

There's a good possibility someone might have a spare that they can offer.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Be sure to add the 1961-1963 Thunderbird annuals to your request in the wanted section.

There were a ton of these models and promos produced during that 3 year period.

There's a good possibility someone might have a spare that they can offer.

Steve

Thanks Steve ?

Exposure-to-light negates the efficacy of  hydrogen peroxide ( dihydrogendioxide -- H2 , O2 )  , which is why it's in a brown bottle .  Maybe some "Laundry Booster" ( OxyClean , et alia ) would work . Mix a scoop of it with water , place it in a sealable container (but NOT airtight ! Leave a little bit of a vent ) , and let it sit for anywhere from 10-12 hours . Open the container c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y , then rinse the 'glass' in warm water .  

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Exposure-to-light negates the efficacy of  hydrogen peroxide ( dihydrogendioxide -- H2 , O2 )  , which is why it's in a brown bottle .  Maybe some "Laundry Booster" ( OxyClean , et alia ) would work . Mix a scoop of it with water , place it in a sealable container (but NOT airtight ! Leave a little bit of a vent ) , and let it sit for anywhere from 10-12 hours . Open the container c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y , then rinse the 'glass' in warm water .  

Unfortunately, I used the last of our hydrogen peroxide to cover the glass the first time.  Not sure how it is in your part of the country but I wasn't able to find any in our local stores the other day.  We don't have any laundry booster here at the house but next time we're in town (30mi one way) I may pick up some Oxy Clean and give it a try.  I'll still try and see if anyone has some used glass they'd be willing to donate or trade.

Thanks

An update for anyone following...  I was able to pick up a small container of Oxy Clean and tested soaking the yellowed glass in it for 12 hours and unfortunately it didn't work.  Or, if it did it was very little.  Not enough to consider using the glass.  I was able to score a really cheap '62 Bird from ebay and the front glass from that kit works on my HT just fine, so that's the route I'm going for the front anyway.  The rear is much less cloudy than the front is, but I'll still be able to maybe fab a new one.  It seems much more straightforward than making the front windshield anyway.