Model Cars Magazine Forum

What rear end is in the AMT 1949 Mercury?

I am building an altered drag car 1932 Victoria and I am really leaning toward using the 413 Mopar that is in the AMT 1949 Mercury for the engine. I am looking at the '49 and it looks like the motor is supposed to be a Dodge or Plymouth super stock 413 motor backed by a factory 3 speed, which I believe was a Borg Warner unit. It also looks like the rear end is a Chrysler or Dana unit. It is definitely not stock. Anybody know for sure what the transmission and rear end in the Mercury kit are supposed to represent? I am thinking of using the fuel injection and front cover from the AMT "40 Ford sedan on the Chrysler motor. I know that motor is an Olds, but I did some googling and found a real set up similar to the one in the sedan kit that was made for big block Mopars. Even the front cover is similar. Not going to make rivet counters happy, but certainly close enough for the type of build I am going for here and I think it looks pretty cool. I like to use Trophy Series era stuff as much as possible and detail it to the point of plausibility, lol! I have a set of headers from the Tony Nancy 22 Jr. that will work on this motor too. Not 100% sure about the transmission that is molded to the 413, it might be the weak link. Guess I could swap it for a 727 Torqueflite, if I want to go to the trouble. I appreciate any help or thoughts on the matter! ?

Edited by larman