Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donn Yost Method Alternatives

Hi

I bought the Donn Yost DVDs and really like them, but am having very little success finding the materials, both because the Model Master enamels are no longer available and because many of the named products are not available in Canada.

Are there are recommendations for alternatives for:

- MM aluminium lacquer metallizer

- Sunnyside lukewarm lacquer thinner

- MM lacquer paints

- top coat

Thanks and take care 

The "Don Yost" method (which some of us were using decades before he named it) works fine with regular Testor enamels, and will probably work with other petroleum-based enamels. 

Dunno about "Sunnyside lukewarm" lacquer thinner. I've always just used whatever cheap generic lacquer thinner is on the shelf at the local hardware store or Walmart when I needed some. Currently still working on a gallon I bought about a decade ago. 

I've used a lot of MM Clear Top Coat enamel, and will still use what I have left on paint jobs when I'm not concerned about yellowing. My current favorite clearcoat is Rustoleum "High Lustre Coating" Clear Lacquer, which I get at Walmart. I've posted here several times about how to use it and get great results. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

MM Metalizer as a primer isn't necessary or even desirable unless you're doing candy colors (transparent). Just use your favorite primer and drive on. 

I would go as far as to say that I would   think that MM Metalizer would be a poor primer, especially if you have to do any masking after paint. Some of the Testors paints make very poor primers because paint does not adhere well to them. 
I’ve had ample experience with using Testors “metallic silver”, “gold” and “copper”, and while they make a nice looking base for transparent enamels, the paint doesn’t stick to it worth a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. 
I can’t tell you how many paint jobs I ruined years ago when tape pulled the paint right off of the base coat.

Something tells me that Metalizer would be no better as a primer.

Just my guess.

Anyway, I personally wouldn’t use it.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I would go as far as to say that I would   think that MM Metalizer would be a poor primer, especially if you have to do any masking after paint. Some of the Testors paints make very poor primers because paint does not adhere well to them. 
I’ve had ample experience with using Testors “metallic silver”, “gold” and “copper”, and while they make a nice looking base for transparent enamels, the paint doesn’t stick to it worth a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. 
I can’t tell you how many paint jobs I ruined years ago when tape pulled the paint right off of the base coat.

Something tells me that Metalizer would be no better as a primer.

Just my guess.

Anyway, I personally wouldn’t use it.

Steve

Agree. I've only used MM Metalizer a few times. First time was on bare plastic on a model airplane. Found out how VERY fragile the stuff is--too much handling would rub it right off.  Second time I shot it over a primer, which helped it stick better, but the finish was not really better than say Floquil Old Silver or Pewter. 

But I did get my best silver finish on a model car ever with MM Aluminum Non-Buffing Metalizer. I shot it over primer, then cleared it with the Metalizer Sealer, and it's MUCH better looking than any silver auto paint I've ever tried. 

• Like 1