Model Cars Magazine Forum

Please help with choosing aftermarket wheels

I have a  1/24 Tamiya Porsche 911 Turbo 88. It's a simple kit but looks like it will build into a nice looking model. I was thinking of going with some aftermarket rims but have no idea how to choose the correct size.

The real car tire sizes are Front 205/55 R16 and Rear 245/45 R16. I would like to use the kit tires if possible but just want different rims. One thing I notice is that the aftermarket sets have 4 rims of the same width. Do the fronts get cut down? Am I looking for 16 inch rims? I don't think I have seen any in 16 inch.

Thanks for any help. I'm totally confused. 

Do you know the wheels you'd like? If you do someone on the forum might have a set they can measure so you know if your tyres will fit. You can cut the front down but since its a small amount filing or sanding them down will be easier to control than cutting. A lot of the aftermarket rims will come with tyres too though like you say 16s are prewtty uncommon. I would look at uscp, scale production or diolex production for wheelsd and rims. they do a lot of porsche style rims in stock and custom sizes usually with tyre options for slicks or road tyres and have fittings for fitting them to the japanese made kits

• Like 1

There is usually a good bit of room around the kit wheels so going bigger shouldn't be an issue to a point, 18 should be safe. There are some sets of aftermarket wheels that are big and little, just post the sets you're looking at here and someone should know what's inside.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Do you know the wheels you'd like? If you do someone on the forum might have a set they can measure so you know if your tyres will fit. You can cut the front down but since its a small amount filing or sanding them down will be easier to control than cutting. A lot of the aftermarket rims will come with tyres too though like you say 16s are prewtty uncommon. I would look at uscp, scale production or diolex production for wheelsd and rims. they do a lot of porsche style rims in stock and custom sizes usually with tyre options for slicks or road tyres and have fittings for fitting them to the japanese made kits

10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

There is usually a good bit of room around the kit wheels so going bigger shouldn't be an issue to a point, 18 should be safe. There are some sets of aftermarket wheels that are big and little, just post the sets you're looking at here and someone should know what's inside.

Thanks guys. I found the exact set with tires that I want and they show them on a Porsche 911. They are 17 inch and look good. The stance is a bit low but I think they just stuck them under the body for the picture. I'll go ahead and order them and give it a go. If they don't work I'll save them for another build and chalk it up to learning. I think they are just right though.