Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Summer driver.... finally

My '07 Crown Vic barfed the transmission, and buying a used car right now is a horror show. I still managed to do it. Now close to being eligible for antique registration, but I have my reserved special plate on it.

1999 Buick LeSabre Limited in Bronzemist with the neutral (tan) leather. Every option except the Gran Touring Package. When I got it, practically every sensor was malfunctioning as it turned out, along with the fuel pump and pressure regulator. My garage and I were thinking computer even after all the bad sensors were replaced and it still wouldn't run. Turned out to be the MAF, the one sensor we didn't change.

Still needs a few little odds and ends, but it runs, drives, and gets pretty decent mileage. 1720564238_1999LeSabrehome.jpg.9a880f31e797a64257602ff60b9a9d39.jpg

On 9/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, charlie8575 said:

My '07 Crown Vic barfed the transmission, and buying a used car right now is a horror show. I still managed to do it. Now close to being eligible for antique registration, but I have my reserved special plate on it.

1999 Buick LeSabre Limited in Bronzemist with the neutral (tan) leather. Every option except the Gran Touring Package. When I got it, practically every sensor was malfunctioning as it turned out, along with the fuel pump and pressure regulator. My garage and I were thinking computer even after all the bad sensors were replaced and it still wouldn't run. Turned out to be the MAF, the one sensor we didn't change.

Still needs a few little odds and ends, but it runs, drives, and gets pretty decent mileage. 1720564238_1999LeSabrehome.jpg.9a880f31e797a64257602ff60b9a9d39.jpg

One you do not see often.... Dump used oil in the rockers, they are known to rot there (along with every other car from the mid eighties til now)

I had an MAF issue on my Cougar. Although after the air cleaner, that little wire gets dirty and makes the car act stupid. Periodic cleaning took care of it. 

How to Clean Your MAF Sensor

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sledsel said:

One you do not see often.... Dump used oil in the rockers, they are known to rot there (along with every other car from the mid eighties til now)

I had an MAF issue on my Cougar. Although after the air cleaner, that little wire gets dirty and makes the car act stupid. Periodic cleaning took care of it. 

How to Clean Your MAF Sensor

I'm actually having New Hampshire Oil Undercoat applied before winter; basically gear oil with Vaseline. Sticks to everything. The rockers were already fixed by the garage, due to rust, and should be undercoated, so we'll make sure that's done.

Unfortunately, I don't think the MAF sensor cleaner would work on this car. The sensor is a little plug-in bit that goes in what would normally be the MAF, and is plastic, but I will keep this in mind.

Charlie Larkin