Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 3D printed Porsche 935 K3. Just a few pics out of the box.

I just got home. I need to take a shower and get the heck out of here, but I just had to open this package and have a look. It’s my first 3D printed kit. It’s a curbside. Not a problem. I have two glue bomb Tamiya 934s if I want to rob parts off of them. 

I think it looks pretty good. I want to make it a street car. I may change the tail end a bit. I’ll post more pics sometime later. 

8D869980-4DE1-4A19-896B-1242F07AA0C2.jpeg

206FBE48-F237-4EED-8A01-80AB556A025E.jpeg

7BE935F5-A7C3-4C17-AEFA-CBA5684A47F3.jpeg

Edited by LDO
Spelling

A couple of close ups to show the surface. I’m really looking forward to massaging this into shape. I think it will be a great intro to 3D kits. I have a print file that I haven’t done anything with yet. That one would be a steep learning curve. It’s a Mercedes-Benz 190E. My real car in 1/8 scale. 

61EFA559-E480-42AA-9AB4-259BE6458220.jpeg

9F1E562D-FA53-4D7D-9A24-01519B6F8872.jpeg

Get some Duplicolor scratch filler primer. Spray a light to medium coat so as to save as much detail as possible. Spray a lighter color as a guide coat and then sand with 600 wet  sandpaper. You do a guide coat by spraying far enough away from the model so that you only get specks and not a full coat. Continue until you have an even surface.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

Get some Duplicolor scratch filler primer. Spray a light to medium coat so as to save as much detail as possible. Spray a lighter color as a guide coat and then sand with 600 wet  sandpaper. You do a guide coat by spraying far enough away from the model so that you only get specks and not a full coat. Continue until you have an even surface.

My concern is those vents in the front end. Maybe it’s time to finally try automotive lacquers. I remember reading about airbrushing high-fill primer in a Mark Gustavson article. I think it was his article, anyway.

4 hours ago, LDO said:

My concern is those vents in the front end. Maybe it’s time to finally try automotive lacquers. I remember reading about airbrushing high-fill primer in a Mark Gustavson article. I think it was his article, anyway.

You don't need to air brush the filler primer. It's not high build to begin with. High build would give you too much thickness and screw up your detail. The front vents will be a real problem. You can file down most that are high, but the others may need ones scratch built to replace them. As a note to you, or anyone reading this thread. If the product is not printed on an resin based printer, forget it. By resin based I mean sla : laser printer or msla: led resin printer. At any rate, the project is do able. I'm sure you'r up to the task.