Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC PRO STOCK GRUMPYS AND USA 1 VEGA KITS QUESTION...

HELLO EVERYONE,,,,, I CRACKED OPEN TWO OF THE REISSUE GRUMPYS VEGA KITS, AND BOTH ARE VOID OF A FRONT SPOILER...I MENTION THIS AS VARIOUS EBAY PARTS SELLERS SHOW THAT FOR GRUMPYS AND THE USA 1 LARSON CAR THAT THEY CONTAIN A FRONT SPOILER, EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT SEE ANY REFERENCE TO THIS ON THE INSTRUCTION SHEET....ANYBODY OUT THERE IN ' PLASTIC LAND' HAVE ANY THING TO ADD HERE, AS I HAVE SEEN THIS ON EBAY SEVERAL TIMES NOW.... THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR INPUT HERE.....STAY SAFE, ACE...šŸ˜„

12 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

My USA-1 kit has a front spoiler in it that isn't in my Grumpy's kit. It's some old MPC kit part that must have still been in the mold and ended getting opened up...I'm guessing that maybe it's fromĀ the 1971-ish Street Funny kit but can not confirm that.

Don, will that USA 1 spoiler fit nicely on the early Grumps body.....thanks, Ace...

There is definite gaposis between the spoiler in USA-1 and the newly tooled Grumpy's body, but it generally fits. Was a little tricky to hold it in place and take a pic, so the gaps along the sides aren't obvious here.Ā Some time spent adding a little plastic to close the gaps should be rewarded with improved fit and appearance.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, AC Norton said:

Don, will that USA 1 spoiler fit nicely on the early Grumps body.....thanks, Ace...

Ā 

IMG_6478 2.JPG

4 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

There is definite gaposis between the spoiler in USA-1 and the newly tooled Grumpy's body, but it generally fits. Was a little tricky to hold it in place and take a pic, so the gaps along the sides aren't obvious here.Ā Some time spent adding a little plastic to close the gaps should be rewarded with improved fit and appearance.

Ā 

IMG_6478 2.JPG

Thanks, Don, for the pic and info....the USA 1 carĀ  or slant nose design would not use this, but, it would come in handy for the early car as you show, because even though the Grumps early car did not use one, later pics show that it did in 72 and 73, and many other racers with the early cars used one too....again, appreciate this so much....stay safe...Ace..

• Like 1