Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's styled 2005 "RETRO-VETTE" COUPE

E St. Kruiser50

Well it's been a while since I posted on this.. Had to go back and "Dig" this outta the ARCHIVES B)

Got the hatch jams on the body mostly done, and now got the door's fitted pretty good, and nearly ready for hinges.

Had to get the door panels, and panel jamming on the backside of the door's done first.

Also started the dash.

Interior will be a little "RETRO" to sorta match the outside.

Going to use CHROME DOOR HANDLES AND CRANKS on the door panels, and have started to modify the dash, using '67 "DASH HOODS" and gauge panels. I'll be using a fine wire and alum. tubing for the dash details on the gauge pods, and around the the flat dash panels.

The steering wheel is from a '53 "Vette", and will be wood grained to match the dash panels.

The hatch or trunk lid was extended all the way back to the rear of the car, and left quite a gap between the rear of the interior tub and the rear of the body. Part of that was taken up by the jam I built, the rest was fixed by adding a flat piece of sheet sock and some filler, to the rear of the tub.

Lots of detail stuff - FUN!! B) . More to come.

Anyhow, here's some update pics and then I'm back at it - dave <_<

Photobucket2008054.jpg

Photobucket2008055.jpg

Photobucket2008056.jpg

Photobucket2008057.jpg

Photobucket2008.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Thanks Marshall :o

I'm down to the details now, which take a lot of time, as I'm probably going "Over-board" :P here, but having a lot of fun doing it B) .

Detailing used to be a big pain to me, but the more I have done over the years, the more comfortable I am with it, and the more I enjoy it now.

I figured out how to get the results I want, and that's more satisfying to me.

I may have more updates by the weekend or the first part of next week. Things will go much slower now, as I am a "Picky Builder", and very "SLOOOW" :huh: and and methodical at the finishing, and there's lot's of details to build into this.

Good to hear from you - dave :D

I decided to get a little "OBSESSIVE" like the "MR." guy on this forum :D .

Wanted plenty of detail under the hood, like on my '59 "Shorty", but this later 'Vette kit has most of the really cool detaild molded in, so beings that I have several donor kits, I decided to grind and saw some of the best detail stuff from two kits. The existing tub loses the detail and then everything from the other tub gets added on, and then detail it with paints and correct decaling to make it more believeable.

Inside fender wells under the hood will be painted the body color, so that the contrast will show up the details when their painted.

More later B)

Photobucket2008060.jpg

Photobucket2008061.jpg

Alrighty now! :ph34r:

This is looking mighty good! The hardest thing is getting opening panels to be symmetrical------you've got that hurdle beat Dave as those door jambs look good!

Now to get the full title of being "Obsessive" you're gonna have to make working struts for that opening hatch! :rolleyes:

Alrighty now! :ph34r:

This is looking mighty good! The hardest thing is getting opening panels to be symmetrical------you've got that hurdle beat Dave as those door jambs look good!

Now to get the full title of being "Obsessive" you're gonna have to make working struts for that opening hatch! :lol:

Well "WILD BILL" B)

I hope you realize that mentioning your name was only "WISHFUL THINKIN" on my part. We'd all like to be good as you are.

I been thinkin' bout them workin' struts before you mentioned them, so going to "Explore the possibilities", seeings that you mentioned it ;) .

Great TWISTED MIND"S think alike :D

I think it was you back in about '01 on maybe the Dodge Charger that used watch spring pins for spring loaded latches. I always wanted to try that, so went down and got me a couple, and will modify the body door jam to receive a metal "Striker Plate" for the pin to work against.

I must be NUT'S like George said, but sure am havin' fun doin this and learnin' more new stuff. I'll keep ya up to date on the strut idea as I gotta think about that one for awhile.

When it come's to "Skills", I feel sometimes like I still got my "TRAININ WHEELS" on, when I see stuff from Ol' Cranky and CB and other's here. Insanely good builder's on this forum.

Here's a pic

Photobucket2008062.jpg

Hey all :D

Things going pretty quickly even though I spend only a few hours a day doing this - 3 or 4 max.

Other stuff to do :D .

Anyhow, got the door hinges pretty much done and am ready for the latches in a day or two.

Gotta finish the other door and install the hinge that's ready for it.

Here's more WIP pic's - dave :D

Photobucket2008063.jpg

Photobucket2008064.jpg

Photobucket2008065.jpg

Photobucket2008066.jpg

Photobucket2008067.jpg

Photobucket2008068.jpg

Hey Dave, yer Vette is lookin mighty fine! :D Love that shot of the bod with all the hingey hardwares in it. Did I miss something, :D or did you open up them front wheel openings? or is they just normally that big? :blink:

Nice to see your obsessing with the scratchin' and bashin' and jammin'........ :D oh, it do be such fun!

Really nice work on those door jambs. Keep up the good work! :D

Well, here's more fun detail stuff :P . Didn't do much today, but had some fun tonight.

Got some done on the engine, brake rotor's and interior tub.

Used the kit "Rotor's" and drilled out all the "Air Venting Holes" on all four and used BMF to sort of metalize the surfaces. Went back with a toothpick, and punched them all out. You can see the difference between the front and the rears, as they haven't been done yet. Probably sounds a little "OSISSIVE", But well ya know, I gotta try to keep up with "MR. BILL" - LOL :lol: .

The seams on the engine were filled and painted silver.

I wanted a fuel injected tri-power set up on the 427 small block, with the tri-sided 427 air-cleaner, for more "Retro" look, so I had to modify the head area to receive the tri-power manifold. Worked great. I like it ;) .

On the interior tub, I cut clearance notches for clearing the door hinges, and all that works fine, and then some black primer.

Tons more details to come, but havin' fun :D .

Photobucket2008069.jpg

Photobucket2008070.jpg

Photobucket2008072.jpg

Photobucket2008073.jpg

Photobucket2008074.jpg

AAAH another watch pin user! :D

If you need some pics Dave on how I did mine with another model................you can go here to my Fotki page where I did my Turbine Car in a similar manner.

The pics have some text on how it was done...........but your 'Vette being a totally different body style, will naturally be not quite the same way I did it.

Hope this can help a bit! :lol:

AAAH another watch pin user! :D

If you need some pics Dave on how I did mine with another model................you can go here to my Fotki page where I did my Turbine Car in a similar manner.

The pics have some text on how it was done...........but your 'Vette being a totally different body style, will naturally be not quite the same way I did it.

Hope this can help a bit! ;)

Thanks Bill :)

I need all the help I can get :lol::huh: .

I checked out your website on FOTKI - Very cool!! Love the build's.

Thanks again for the help, it definetly makes a difference - dave :D

I think Gregg should show one of your progress on this in the magazine.

Thanks Clay :D

This is my first fairly complicated build to assemble on line, and it's really great getting to share it with everyone :lol: .

I hope maybe it help's others to be motivated to build their projects better.

Other's have really motivated me at times, and made it more fun for me too.

All the best my friend - dave :)