Model Cars Magazine Forum

Longshot question: Rally V "wheels" or hubcaps (1/25 '82-83 Firebirds)

Have these ever been casted in resin? (NO! most likely)

It's a very obscure subject, so I figured I'd start with resin... because I'm pretty sure these were only ever available on lower-end/base early 3rd gen firebirds... possibly up to '84, but probably only '82 and '83. And thus were never available in a kit, I'm sure.

So, failing both of those, I was wondering if anybody knows of a set of wheels or hubcaps that even look remotely similar to these from another kit.

The closest thing I can think of are the optional wheels for early MPC Fiero's... which are essentially 14" versions of the cast aluminum "bowling ball" wheel and hubcap combos that early 3rd gen Trans Am's and Firebird S/E's had... but without the plastic cover.

I have a set of these already because I have an unbuilt original issue MPC Fiero (the one molded in red) that I don't plan to use those wheels on.

Just curious to what, if any, suggestions might come up.

scca_sales_event_1981.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by ClassicDarts

29 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

BTW, is that your Firebird, Steve? look to be in really good shape. 

I wish! :lol:

No, it's just one of the few color photos I could find online of a Firebird with those wheel covers.

I was a young kid at the time, but one of my cousins in the late 80's had an oddly-optioned, black '82/83 Firebird... it was essentially a base Firebird... with either the Iron Duke 4-cylinder or possibly V6... but not a 305, with these wheel covers. Yet, it did have t-tops.

I have this MPC kit and was considering making a replica of their car (if I got an 82-92 T-top body to use with it)

Just a thought I had... I'm happy to have the kit as it is. I've always thought the early 3rd gen firebirds were the best-looking of that generation. I guess my cousin's car was a big part of my forming that opinion, though.

MPC-1982-Pontiac-Firebird-1-25.jpg

Yeah, Casey I've thought about the Revell 1/16 models before.

I might get/"invest" in one someday.

One detail I've never noticed on 1:1 80's Firebirds until I bought the MPC '82 Trans Am, is the subdued rear fender flare behind the door. Similar to the 70-81 Trans Am's, but far more understated.

Every single '82-92 Firebird model kit has this... even though I'm pretty sure they stopped using it in 1985. Yet, from 82-92 every MPC, AMT and Revell/Monogram model has it. Even the ones that are advertised as S/E models... that should not only omit that detail, but the vent in the front fenders as well. (Even if they're not hard to eliminate with body filler, etc.)

But I get why they still include them.. Because Trans Am's are the most popular model.

Edited by ClassicDarts

Unrelated, but sort of along the same lines:

If anyone with an MPC Pacer hatchback or AMT Pacer wagon's looking to replicate these hubcaps...

1975-AMC-Pacer-2-e1555904839995.jpg.09f4aa7e90e46a2991c481eb84ca9238.jpg

The AMT '58 Plymouth Belvedere's wheel covers are extremely close... not so much in real life, but at least in kit form, they're the closest thing I've seen.