Model Cars Magazine Forum

’65 Plymouth Satellite vs. ’65 “Melrose Missile” Plymouth kit

I’m going to build a ’65 Plymouth Satellite as a Hemi powered street machine.  Basically my vision is a show room stock appearing car with Cragars, slicks and a Hemi.

My question is this: am I better off starting with the ’65 “Melrose Missile” Plymouth kit or the showroom looking ’65 Plymouth Satellite kit?  I want the interior to be stock not race car and the exterior to have all the factory trim.  My gut tells me to start with the “Melrose Missile” kit and add a backseat if the kit doesn’t have one, that that would be easier than kit bashing a Hemi into it, since there is a kit that already has a Hemi.

I guess I’m wondering how similar are the two kits.  I don’t mind kit bashing and swapping parts out, but I want to start off with the kit that makes the most sense compared to what I want my finish build to be.

The bodies in both kits will be the same, building any of the factory competition cars will require removing some of the trim.  You're probably better off starting with the Missile or stock wheelbase Golden Commandos version (same parts in both IIRC).  You probably would have to find a rear seat and any other interior items that you might wish to change.  Moebius kits often do have extra parts that aren't used in the version they are in, but I don't think the rear seat is among them.

There are two hardtop bodies, stock and altered wheelbase.  The stock wheelbase body has Satellite trim, if you have one of the drag versions you must remove it yourself.

I believe the interiors build up on the same platform.  Items like the console are separate parts.

Mark,

Color me gone is stock wheelbase.  There is an altered but it is a different kit. Color me gone has a back panel no back seat.  The front buckets and console with auto shift lever are same as stock.  The hood has a hole cut in it for air filter so you must use the scoop.  The side windows are full length with the post molded into them.  The stock car does not have side windows.  The hemi is full tube headers with cut outs but a single exhaust pipe.  Personal preference here but I would have to run a dual exhaust on it.  Any other questions let me know.

I'm not sure offhand if the K-member is, or even should be, different between the Hemi and wedge engine kits.  I always thought that became a thing starting with the '66 cars, as the '64 and '65s weren't sold to the general public.  If I remember to do so later today, I'll pull a couple of them out for comparison.

Kelly

I am comparing the Melrose missile super stock kit to a stock satellite kit.  Redeem my self for the inaccurate info yesterday.  The front k members 2 piece are exactly the same in both kits just simple stems sticking up to mount engine to.  The only things you would be missing if you buy the Melrose missile kit is the stock hood if you want it and the rear seat.  Other than that I believe the Melrose missile will get you everything you want for your build.

@Mopar maniac 74 thank you so much!  That is so cool of you to have checked!  So here are my options it sounds like:

- Buy both kits, not my favorite, since I've got one kit I've promised to someone and this one and another one for myself that I'm building.

- Figure out which parts are harder to get, either the Hemi or the hood and back seat, and start with that kit.