Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad Recast

I do some resin casting for fun on the side, mostly all 73-77 Collonade GM cars. I do it partly because few people (till Robert Burns) did them. I have not come on re-casters of my work that I recall till recently. I did 75 and 76 Buick Indy 500 Pace Cars because I thought they were cool and you could get decals for both. I usually scan EBAY to see what kinds of stuff people are doing and lo and behold I see a 76 Pace Car, advertised as "the only 76 Pace Car kit made". Sure enough, one of my cars. I thought initially it was just a re-sale, which is cool but in looking at the details it was a REALLY bad re-cast of what I had done. Full of bubbles, pits and rough edges. The seller said it would "need some work" but wow, was it bad. I hope nobody associates it with me. Last look it was bid up to over a hundred bucks. It'll take 25 bucks worth of putty and primer to fix that thing up but I guess somebody wants one that badly. I know that others have had similar experiences but this was my first. Probably won't be the last, either.  Here is what a master builder did with one of mine:

built century 2.jpg

built century 5.jpg

To state that this sucks would be an understatement. 

That built-up looks quite nice! Kudos to its builder!

Now for a potentially silly enquiry: Would you be as (justifiably) irritated if the recaster provided in the description to the effect of, "Not my original master. This is a recast of an existing kit and it needs work. Bid accordingly." ?

Yes, because they would be admitting that they had copied someone else's intellectual property. Especially since the original castings are still available from me. I understand from some threads that I have seen on the board that some out of availability resins had been re-cast by others. Doesn't make it right, but it would be somewhat different. The builder did a killer job on this. I was amazed at the detail.

Yes, and I acknowledge that when I make them. In the US, a design patent is only good, as I understand it, for 15 years from the date it is granted.  So the design patents would have expired long ago under those circumstances anyway.

"A disadvantage of US design patents is the limited period of protection, only 15 years from the date of grant.  Once the design patent expires, it cannot be used to enforce rights against those who would copy the design." Source: Foundationlaw.com

And nothing I make is copyrighted or registered, so anyone can copy any of them. I copied a design, they duplicated mine. A little different. All is in the FWIW column, anyway. I just would be concerned that someone would think I would sell something that was that bad. Someone paid $138 for the privilege, so maybe I should be pleased about that (tongue firmly in cheek).

On 9/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Unfortunately recasters are only in it for a quick buck and are always poorly done. I remember following the figures for a while and the recasters had a lot of garage kit manufacturers quit because of the impact on sales and the poor quality.

Not entirely true and you are making assumptions. I don't recast, but have reproduced items no longer available. To say I am in it for the quick buck would be outright wrong and insulting. Do I make a profit, absolutely but my time is worth something as is the resources I put into making the stuff I do. I do get a few comments on how people were reluctant to purchase from me due to others lack of concern for details and customer service but you can get past that.

The one on the left is my kit. The one on the right is what I think is a bad recast. Same car, obviously but if you zoom in on the interior tub it is full of bubbles and pits, same as the body. The T tops were also cut out, which mine does not have. That could have been done after it was cast. The rear bumper also has a tab on it that mine does not. Just a bad copy.

buick pace car 1.JPG

bad recast.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Not entirely true and you are making assumptions. I don't recast, but have reproduced items no longer available. To say I am in it for the quick buck would be outright wrong and insulting. Do I make a profit, absolutely but my time is worth something as is the resources I put into making the stuff I do. I do get a few comments on how people were reluctant to purchase from me due to others lack of concern for details and customer service but you can get past that.

When I say recast it is in the context of someone who is copying the work of another that is still being produced by the original producer and is undercutting their sales. Second in that case it is typical that the castings are extremely poor quality. 

I had no idea that anything that bad was being sold, but I do know that designs are stolen in one form or another. I know that some of my stuff I had exclusively has been copied or they just have a very striking similarity to my products. I apologize for the strong response but I don't think everyone that is replicating old products or being inspired by others works are just in it to make a buck.