Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junkyard rat - color

Jantrix

What color would you like to see on this model?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Color choices

• Olive drab green
    • Almond tan satin
    • Primer grey
    • Red oxide
    • Flat black
    • Satin blue

My original plan for this junkyard rat was to do a tribute build to the early hot rodders who brought their skills home from WW2 and Korea after working on bombers and tanks and other military equipment. So the drab green paint and the nose art on the door ideas were along those lines. However as this build has progressed, it has sort of led me to make decisions based on how things fit or looked. Long story short - the build has not turned out like the original idea. Which is fine. I suppose a build like this has a tendency to do that. But that being said, I'm also open to other paint ideas now as well.

I do want to keep this a satin or suede paint job. So the above are the choices I currently have on hand. Anything that I would have to go and buy, would defeat the purpose of a junkyard build. Here are my WIP shots http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/Jant...0%20Ford%20Rat/.

An example of the blue color

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/Jant.../100_0724-1.jpg.

I have yet to use the almond paint, but the cap on the can is a very pale sand color.

The engine is already painted drag green and will stay that way.

Some pics before it heads off to primer.

100_1753.jpg

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

Oh yeah! I think Plastic Freak hit it right on the head with some rust spots showing through, of course!

It's a wonderful, imaginative build . . . it's going to be a great model!

Thanks, of course there has to be rust spots. You guy who do the rust and beater weathering make it look so real, I'm going to have to give it a go real soon.

Guys I appreciate the feed back. My thoughts on the rust subject. I'm all for weathered rides, but if I was gonna gather a bunch of junkyard parts and make a hot rod, every part would be cleaned, repaired, repainted and added to the car. This is my "theme" for this build. If you notice, most every build I have done lately has one.

This modern trend of rat rods that purposely feature rusty parts when the car is built, confuses me and totally goes against my grain. Now on the other hand a great weathered, rusty survivor is another story. My next build will be another junker but this one will be a 40 year old parts runner. I'll be using the Cranky/Ryan Silva weathering techniques.

I do like the almond and olive idea, though. I'm gonna give it some thought.

Guys I appreciate the feed back. My thoughts on the rust subject. I'm all for weathered rides, but if I was gonna gather a bunch of junkyard parts and make a hot rod, every part would be cleaned, repaired, repainted and added to the car. This is my "theme" for this build. If you notice, most every build I have done lately has one.

This modern trend of rat rods that purposely feature rusty parts when the car is built, confuses me and totally goes against my grain. Now on the other hand a great weathered, rusty survivor is another story. My next build will be another junker but this one will be a 40 year old parts runner. I'll be using the Cranky/Ryan Silva weathering techniques.

I do like the almond and olive idea, though. I'm gonna give it some thought.

Totally, I have to agree with ya Jantrix on the 1:1 rat trend. Although I enjoy the builds and WIP in scale that has become it's own trend in the scale world.

When you mentioned sort of a WWII theme, I thought about a guy in our club that recently built a P-51 Mustang of the Tuskeegee Airmen.....beautiful little bird that was in a natural metal finish with a red nose and tail....

Tuskegee-Airmen-in-flight.jpg

Just a thought......but with that being said, if you are limited to the above choices, I chose the blue. Good luck!

• 5 months later...