Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surface Prep - Final Coats

Guest snapper

Guest snapper

I still have a few questions about surface prep, mainly with the final coats. After spraying the final coat of paint, I understand you have a few options with either to polish or lay down a clear coat of some sort or a combination of both?

I would like to spray a clear coat, but I'm not sure how to prepare the final coat of paint surface - sand (grit?) or leave alone and spray as is?

Thanks

Edited by snapper

I think it's easier to polish a clear coat than a color coat, plus you have some extra layers to protect against burn-through while wet sanding. It will depend upon how smooth the color coats are, but I would suggest you give the color coat a light, wet scuff sanding before applying the clear. Again, which grit to use depends upon the existing smoothness, but I would start with at least 1000 if your paint isn't badly orange-peeled.

depends what you're painting...solid colors, yes, 'color sand' before clearcote...metalics and pearls, NO as this tends to swirl or, muddy the finish, in this case you do ALL the polishing on the clear, so have ample clear on... i use #2000 wet every 2nd coat of clear..i also do this in the color phase, helps for a smoother, final finish that glosses nicely...

Guest snapper

Thank you fellas - this is my first time using an airbrush, and I do have some orange peeling. Based on what you said, I think I will sand my final color coat with 800-1000 and then apply the clear coat. I have been told that 600 is good on the primer to give the paint something to "bite", but I didn't know if this was the same procedure as with laying down the clear coat. I also didn't know if the paint could be too smooth to where it wouldn't accept the final clear coat - sounds like a little roughing will be acceptable. I'm going to be very careful of the "burn through" in all stages.